New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

MILKSOP Chapter 9


Refreshments at the Movies
courtesy Free Clip Art
 
Having made it into the theater Archie asked May if she would like to have something from the refreshment counter and she said, “Maybe some pop corn.”

She said, “Unless you want a lot just get a small bag because it gets between my teeth.”  Archie said, “Sure a small bag will do just fine, how about a soda to wash it down?” 

She said, “Okay but again make it a small one.”  With both hands full we found some seats and waited for the lights to dim and the movie to start.

This gave us some time to talk about something beside small talk that people use to pass the time.

Archie wanted to know about her school and her subjects, and if she was into any sports.  She said she was a cheer leader for this and last year.

Archie said, “Maybe I shouldn't ask, but most cheer leaders have a lot of boy friends and I wondered.....”

She said, “I go on quite a few dates, but no one special.  I don't have a regular boyfriend by choice. Does that answer your question?”

Archie swallowed and started to answer when the lights dimmed instead he said, “Oh the movie is starting; we can talk more after the film is over.”

During the first part of the movie Archie's mind was very active and he wasn't thinking about the movie.
 
The thoughts kept coming, “Should I take her hand? Does she expect me to put my arm around her?  

Since she dates a lot and other guys might do that, and not me, she might think that I'm backward.”

More and more his mind brought propositions which it then tried to answer without much success.  

Finally his mind settled down and he concentrated on the screen.

As they left for the soda fountain she thought, “I'm glad he kept his hands to himself, not like some of the jerks I've been with.”

He thought, “I hope she doesn't think I'm too shy around girls.”

With this behind them they ordered something to eat and drink. In between bites and sips they worked their way up to talk about going to the Junior Prom.

Archie said, “We have to make our final plans for it for I will have to order a tux and you need to do whatever you have to do.

I hope you are still going with me, but if you wish to back out this would be the time to tell me.  I really want to go with you, but if you don't feel that you want to go then I'll understand and there will be no hard feelings.”

He went on to say, “While I know it is only a dance those that couple up should have some feeling for each other even if it is only respect.”

May finally got a word in edgewise and asked, “Are you trying to get out of going with me? If you are you are going about it in a strange way.”

Archie said, “Absolutely not, for there is no one I would rather go with to the Prom than you.”

She said, “Then it is settled, and I don't want to hear any more of that kind of talk. 
 
You have to understand that this doesn't make you my steady fellow.  However I do think you are a nice guy, and unless you change I like being around you.

Since it is still a month before the prom if you would like to do some things together I think that would be nice.  
 
In order to stop certain guys from bothering me, I may pretend that we are a couple, and I won't go out with anyone else.

You have to understand that at best we are just friends, and there is no romance between us. I'm just tired of these want-a-be-Romeos, and I need some relief from their pestering.”

Archie said, “Okay, I get it, but hopefully we can be good friends.”

To be Continued  

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.