New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

MILKSOP Chapter 25


Businessmen Arguing
courtesy photoobucket.com
 
Come Thursday Archie was summoned up to the senior partner's office. He didn't know what to expect but was prepared to explain his reasons for quitting on short notice.

The secretary told him to sit down and after waiting for a half hour Archie said, “When he is ready to see me, he knows where my office is and he can come down there.”

The secretary was taken aback and said, “Wait, he can see you now.”

Archie asked, “Can you explain why you kept me waiting out here without informing him I was here, and then he went back to his office?”

Archie was usually easy going, but he had enough of this disrespect and wasn't going to put up with it anymore.

It was lunch time and he had arranged to have lunch with Alice.

He had waited to tell her that tomorrow was going to be his last day at the law office, and they would have a bit less to get by on until he was employed again.

He briefly went over the whole scenario and she agreed totally with him.

She suggested, “Let’s take a few days off and have some fun, O.K?

Archie said, “That sounds good to me we need some time together.”

Shortly after he got back to the office the senior partner came in and lit into Archie about being ungrateful and not coming up to his office like he had been requested.

Archie kept his cool and told him to have a seat and he would answer any questions he wanted to ask him.

Then Archie said, “But I don't want any more of this tirade of yours.  If you can't talk to me respectively then please leave.”
 
The partner was surprised by Archie's attitude but sat down and cooled off.

Archie said, “First of all you have my resignation, and after tomorrow I will no longer be employed by this firm unless you want to fire me today.

That would be alright with me for all my work is caught up and Mrs. Allen knows all about what we have been working on.”

The partner wanted to know why he was quitting!

Archie answered, “It is because I am not qualified to do the work you demand of me, and I will not accept pay for not being able to do what I'm paid for.”

The partner wanted to know why he thought he wasn't qualified for he had checked his credentials and Archie had all the degrees he needed.

Archie said, “It would seem that I need a Pimp's degree and that is one I don't have.”

The partner didn't understand what Archie was talking about so Archie spelled it out in detail.

He said, “This wasn't what I thought I was hired for. He went on and said you can dock me for tomorrow's pay for I won't be back anymore.”

The partner spent the next hour trying to get Archie to change his mind but to no avail.

Archie said, “While it isn't any of my business but it might be worthwhile for you to find out what is going on in your company for much of it is disgusting.”  

He went on to say, “I will honor my nondisclosure agreement, and will not discuss this with anyone, at the same time you might consider writing a letter of recommendation to whom it might concern for my future references.”

After agreeing to do that the partner left and Archie took his briefcase and coat and headed to the door.

He gave Mrs. Allen a hug and said perhaps we will work together again someday for you have been a loyal friend.

As he left for home he thought a week ago I thought I would work here until I retired but now I am looking for work.

He and Alice took a week vacation of sorts, and just enjoyed themselves.

When they returned he had several offers for a job.

A couple of the offers were local, but he didn't want to work in the same location he had worked in, because it might end up as a conflict of interest; due to him knowing all about how the firm he had worked for did business.

There was one offer in New York which sounded interesting.

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.