New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

MILKSOP Chapter 52


One more chapter will end this story and soon a new story will begin.   Sign up to receive by e-mail so as to not miss the exciting chapters.
 
Maria needed Arthie's Help
 courtesy free clip art
 
It had been a surprise to hear from Maria.  Not that she was in trouble, but the fact that she would want him to defend her in a case where she could get ten years in prison.

He had told her the truth that there were lawyers who were better qualified to handle her case than him, but the fact she wanted him was somewhat filled with intrigue.

He pretty much put it out of his mind for the next few days until he heard his doorbell ring and when he opened the door there Maria stood.

Archie was caught off guard and just stared at her until she said, “Well, are you going to ask me in?”

It took him a minute to gather himself together enough to respond saying, “Yes please come in.  I'm sorry that I hesitated, for you are the last person I would expect to be ringing my door bell.”

She said, “I had to come, I'm in big trouble will you help me?”  He answered. “Why sure, if I can help you in any way I'd be glad to, but you seem to indicate that you needed a defense lawyer who has influence and is well versed in your specific area of need.”

She said, “What I need is you and not someone I do not know.”  Archie said, “I am flattered, but think there are better choices than me.”  
 
He said, “You know I fell into the practice of law in San Diego before I knew it and was defending some unsavory characters.

That was part of the reason I left there along with what I perceived to be a misunderstanding about my motives relating to you.”

She said. “You were right about my feelings for I'm suspicious about everyone.  
 
Something you need to know about me, is that I was raised in a convent due to the fact my family was involved in - -well you know what they were doing.”  

They kept me away from all of their activities, but as it happened my mother and father died within a month of each other and then my aunt had a stroke.
   
It was left to me to keep the business going.  
 
I didn't want to be involved, but my aunt laid a guilt trip on me saying I owed her because she helped pay for my keep while I was at the convent and she said many other things about loyalty to family.

Finally I gave in and have been trying to get out of the business ever since. When you asked me to go with you to Spain, I overacted and thought the worst about you.  I realize now that I was mistaken and want to apologize for my behavior.”

Archie said, “Tell me about the problem and start at what you perceive to be the beginning of the situation.” 

Maria said, “I think it all started when one of the other similar businesses in the area wanted to buy me out.  I had no qualms about selling but he wanted to pay me for far less than it was worth.  

The next thing I knew I was charged with having underage girls working for me. The girls have disappeared, and now I can't find them. I have to appear in court in two weeks for sentencing unless I can get this resolved before then.”

Archie said, “I may be able to help you but I need to know everything that is going on before I jump into the mix.

Along about three in the morning Archie said, “I think I have the whole picture.”  He continued, “You must spend the night and we will go over everything that has a bearing on the case.  
 
We will drive down to San Diego tomorrow morning but now we need to get a little rest.”

He told her to take his room and bed and he would sack out on the couch.

She started to argue, but was too tired to put up a battle.  When they got up in the morning they went out for breakfast, and got ready for the trip to San Diego.

Archie said, “I believe I know a way out of all this mess and will explain the details on our trip to your home.”   

To be Continued  (one last chapter will follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.