New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

MISS MATTIE Chapter 7


Rooster Crowing
courtesy photobucket.com
 
Mattie usually arose early, but this morning something was missing and it took awhile to figure out what it was.   

Then it dawned on her what it was. It was the roosters or the lack of them. Ordinarily there would have been several roosters crowing outside of her window, but this morning there was only the faint sound of a rooster crowing way off in the distance.
 
Mattie got dressed and went down stairs where the smells coming from the kitchen lured her there.
 
The cook said, “We will bring your breakfast to the dining room shortly, meanwhile help yourself to a cup of coffee if you drink it.”

Mattie had drank coffee since she was a small girl and had gone from mostly cream and sugar to drinking it black now.  Mrs. Martin was already seated at the dining room table and was waiting for breakfast to be served.  
 
After they ate, Mrs. Martin directed Mattie to the sun room to relax.  She began to speak; “I have many things to say to you, and they are all very important. You will have a lot of questions you would like to ask, but please hold them until I finish for many of them will be answered as I speak.

First off you may wonder why I chose you to come and stay with me. When it was suggested that I take you, I found out as much about you as I could before you came.
 
What I discovered told me you were of good character, intelligent, industrious and trustworthy.

Something else you need to know was I had a daughter about your age whom I lost along with my husband in the flu epidemic a few years ago.

Our daugher was enrolled in the best private schools in our area, and now I wish to send you in her place.   I do not intend to try to replace your mother or father for that matter but will try to be an Auntie to you.

You have faced some hard times as you grew up and you will face equally hard times as you attend school because you do not have the back ground my daughter would have had.

Perhaps you remember the "Dog eat dog," example we talked about earlier?
 
Until you find a measure of acceptance you will have to endure people who talk down to you for in their mind they are better than you.

They have been taught to be like that, so expect it. Your best defense will be to smile at their attempts and reply softly, so soft at times that can hardly hear you. That will drive them to distraction.  I will also give you a list of retorts in case if things get too bad.”

Mattie said, “Retorts?”   
 
Mrs. Martin continued to speak, “Yes something like; ‘I bet your mother has a loud bark!  Or I’m busy now. Can I ignore you some other time?’  I'll give you a long list, but only use them if it gets unbearable.

Now then, you have to know that you will change as time goes by; the way you dress, walk, talk, think, and how you conduct yourself overall.

When you go to visit your folks they will seem different to you and you to them. Your relationship will be different and that close family bond won't be the same as it was in the past. Your sisters will think you are uppity and they will put you down for it.

I tell you this now, because if you don't want to become different and still remain the same person you have always been then leave now and don't come back.

I do not want to lose you but the decision must be yours. While you think about what I have told you, I want you to go upstairs and Marie will come and teach you about daily personal hygiene, this is something that must be at the top of your list of things to do.

Where you lived in Samsville the demands were not so stringent but in our society it is mandatory.   

Marie will show you how to fix your hair so your best features will be brought out; which perfume to use for each occasion, and more importantly where to put it and how much to use.  

She will teach you what to wear and how to wear it for the best effect.  She will instruct you on how, when and why to curtsy, what to do when dining and which of the silverware to use. Marie can teach you all these things and you must pay close attention to her.”   
 
                                To be Continued
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.