New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

SOLITARIE

image courtesy photobucket.com

About the only game I play on my computer is solitaire; that is the simple version of the game. There are hundreds of variations now-a-days but I prefer the original edition.

I find there are many similarities between life as we live it and the game of solitaire. In both the game and in life there are so many things we can’t control for the shuffle of the cards has predetermined much of the outcome.

No matter how I play the cards sometimes I can’t win for the deck is stacked against me.  It is a mathematical impossibility to win no matter what I do.

Like all analogies the comparison breaks down after awhile; still there are some interesting similarities. After I played I think - - if I could play this game over again and have played it differently the outcome would have been better even if I didn’t win.

I have done the same thing when thinking about how I have lived my life.

If I could live my life over and could have made this or that change, my life might have been more fulfilling.  I would correct some of my mistakes I have made because some decisions have cost me a lot of money, and I sure would like to have changed them.

My list is long and isn’t very edifying as I think about it.

Everyone has their own listing of things they would like to change, stuff that has cause them grief and discomfort to say the least. These moments of remembrance usually bring with them some form of pain which can affect the present.

One of the most profound statements I have heard is; “It is what it is” and so is life what it is.

Nostalgia and memories fill a lot of our waking moments especially in the quite times.  The old “What should have been” regrets come to the surface and add to our level of depression if we allow it.

The only way to improve the past is to guard the present and avoid the mistakes we are prone to make.

Proverbs 4:23 Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.

Keep thy heart with all diligence, the mind from vanity, the understanding from error, the will from perverseness, the conscience clear of guilt, the affections from being inordinate and set on evil objects.

It will take the strength of today to overcome the weakness of yesterday so go forth wise as serpents and harmless as doves as you walk among Wolves.

 Verse from song; “Yesterday when I was young”

The thousand dreams I dreamed
The splendid things I planned
I always built alas on weak and shifting sand
I lived by night and shunned the naked light of day
And only now I see how the years ran away
There are so many songs in me that won't be sung
I feel the bitter taste of tears upon my tongue
The time has come for me to pay
For yesterday....when I was young


And so it is everyone has a sad song to sing, but that was then and this is now.

Let me reap from the wisdom I have gained and have my victory in Jesus’ name.


This post is Linked with Charlotte’s Spiritual Sundays


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.