New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, February 6, 2017

Moving On Chapter 6 - A New Bank in Town Opens


14 Year Old Isaac Wanted to Marry the Girl
 
Chapter 6 - A new bank in town opens

A month had passed and much had happened. We bought the building and remodeled it. Our huge safe had arrived and was installed. Our grand opening was near and Papa had made some good contacts in Sacramento and San Francisco.

Papa and I had put our money in the safe so we had assets right off. Papa said there were something called vaults in the works that would be better than the safe and he wanted one when they were perfected.

Right now the huge safe was the center piece of our bank and had a double lock system it was a safe within a safe. The outer safe could be open while the inner safe was still locked. The outer safe was for conducting business and the inner was for the big money.

I must admit papa had a head for business. In six months we had most of the money business in Sacramento and a branch in San Francisco.

Papa had moved to the big city while leaving me to tend the bank in Sacramento. The bank was thriving because of the reputation we had built up. No one ever lost their savings in our bank because of the bank closing up and the bankers absconding with the funds.

There seems there are always some problems waiting in the wings just waiting for the right time to manifest themselves.

Isaac had arrived at the old age of fourteen and was on the courting circuit big time. You have to realize I was really busy because Papa had left me with all the bank business in Sacramento.

He of course was just as busy in San Francisco and didn't have time to come to my aid if I had a situation to deal with. Then it happened. Isaac fell in love with a girl about his age and he wanted to marry her.

This wasn't going to happen but how I was going to stop him wasn't very clear at the moment. On one hand I had Isaac to deal with and then was Mercy having a fit.

She had plans for him to go to college before he married up. Then to top it off his grandfather found out about it. It seemed like I was the only one left that had any common sense.

Then it happened. If things weren’t bad enough another issue complicated the matter. Isaac was supposed to go to a dance with his intended and when he went to pick her up she had already gone with another guy.

He questioned her father and he said he didn't know anything about it. Her mother told him her daughter could go with whomever she wanted to and for him not to bother her anymore and closed the door. Isaac wasn't used to rejection and he didn't take to it very well.

He came home and went directly to his room slamming the door. I never paid any attention to it for the kids were always making a lot of unnecessary noise, but Mercy knew something was up for he was supposed to be at the dance.

Mercy was upset with me because I couldn't talk Isaac out of wanting to marry the girl. I told her the dang boy wouldn't listen to me.

The problem was he was just like his mother and like her he ignored me unless I got really het up. Then there was his grandpa. He had a lot of his traits like wanting his way and flying off the handle if he didn't get it.

I wondered why he wasn't like me in some ways. I couldn't see myself in that boy in any way except my good looks.

Mercy tried to talk to the boy but he had locked her out and turned the light off. The other kids were not making a sound. Mercy retired to the bedroom and I was left alone in the parlor. There wasn't a sound in the house and I didn't want to go to my bed with Mercy in her present mood.

Alone with my thoughts I surmised I have three of these offspring and I don't think I am going to like this part of their raising if there is much of this. I knew this wasn't over with the worse to come. Here Isaac was ready to go to the parson and his intended was courting someone else.

I didn't sleep much sitting in the big chair and was awake when Isaac came down from his room.

I immediately saw some of Grandpa’s nature showing forth because he had his gun in his hand as he went out of the door.

I leaped up to stop him when I saw his grandpa leading him back into the house. I asked Papa, “Where did you come from?”  and he said; "I spent the night here in Sacramento."

Papa said; "Someone has to talk some sense in that moonstruck boy."

I told him, “The job is yours if you want it.”

Our cook was in the kitchen so Papa took Isaac into the kitchen and told the cook to feed the both of them. After a couple of hours they came out and I went in and got some coffee. I didn't want to disturb them so I stayed out until they got finished.

Papa had Isaac's gun, the same one he had taught Isaac how to kill with. He was a crack shot and never missed thanks to his grandpa. He was so much like the old man that he paid attention to everything he said. He went up to his room shutting the door without slamming it which told me he had settled down and the crisis was over.

While I was content with the outcome of the circumstances Papa wasn't for this was his grandson they were messing with.

He had other grandsons back where we came from but Isaac was his favorite and lived nearby. He found out it was a college boy that took the girl away from Isaac. He fumed, “What chance did a fourteen year old boy have with one of those fast talking college boys laying their lies on a gullible young girl.”

There was strong evidence that the college boy had his way with her and that made Papa even madder. The next day it seems the college man was sorely beaten and he and the soiled girl was taken to a parson and was married.

I felt it was the duty of her father to have handled the affair, but apparently he was willing to let things pass.

Papa didn't see it like that and let it slip while talking to me saying: "I reckon he won't be able to enjoy his honeymoon."

That told me everything I wanted to know about what happened. To myself I admitted that Papa knew best how to handle the situation and for that I was glad.

Isaac never confided in me as to how he was feeling but he told his mother everything, and was comforted by her much like when he was younger for after all he was her baby… still.

As I watched, I saw the little boy that was left in him seeking comfort from his mother for the last time.

After that session was over I could tell the man he was to be had his beginning and never again would he look to Mercy for solace. From this point on he would stand on his own till he found a woman he truly loved.

I hoped it would some time before she came into his life for he needed to experience life growing up as a young boy and not be thrust into adulthood before he was actually an adult.

One more talk by Grandpa to Isaac and the issue was put behind him. Grandpa explained how the future was going to unfold as Isaac went forward.
 
Isaac like a knight of old would go forward with armor polished and sword in hand winning every battle forthwith.
 
To Be Continued

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Robert for sharing your continued story with us here at Tell me a Story. I am anxiously awaiting the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.