New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

TEACH US TO PRAY 2

Picture this if you can, you have finally found the Messiah and have been with him, seeing his miracles, hearing his words and you feel totally powerless. Your mind says “I want some of what he has got.”

After watching him pray, you rather awkwardly come up to him and say “Teach us to pray.” Now what you want is not just to say words, but to be able to get answers to your hearts desire.

A passage from a sermon by Pastor Wade;

But I also know first hand that sometimes prayer itself can be overwhelming as we worry about what we're saying, when we're saying it, where we're saying it, and how we're saying it. I confess there have been times when I've wondered if my prayer has fallen on deaf ears, or if there was perhaps a better way to express my thoughts so I would get the results I wanted, or at least the affirmation the prayer was heard. I've even fallen asleep while I was praying. And there have been times I've been so frustrated I've cried out "O Lord please teach me to pray!"

This is the experience of all Christians. They know they have a connection to GOD but somehow when it comes to petition all goes quiet and the wait that follows is unending.  We want showers of blessing but have to settle for a few mercy drops. There must be a clue somewhere as to how to pray more effectively.

In John 14 Jesus said some things that we should reflect on a little more. He said he was cutting out, but the Father would send one to take his place.

John 14:17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn't looking for him and doesn't recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.

In the last post I emphasized the indwelling Holy Spirit within each and every Christian. Just as the apostles who walked with Jesus realized that they were in the presence of GOD the Son and didn’t act accordingly, it is easy for the Christian to know they have GOD the Holy Spirit within them and for all practical purposes ignore that fact.

Acts 10:38 God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power.

The same indwelling Holy Spirit and anointing and power, is what is in you. It is He that answers your prayer at the Fathers direction, when you pray you look for the answer to come from within not from some far off distance place. It is the Spirit of GOD that brings it to pass.

Perhaps you can see more clearly the reason for not grieving the Holy Spirit as stated in Eph. 4;30 And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.

WE WILL CONTINUE THIS SERIES ON PRAYER IN THE NEXT LESSON.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.