New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

WHAT WOULD YOU GIVE TO GO TO HEAVEN?


Wondering courtesy photobucket.com

Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

After I was saved I testified to my room mate about what happen to me and encouraged him to come to church with me. There was a revival meeting going on and the salvation message was preached every night. Well James went with me and was quite interested in getting saved in fact he went forward and prayed.

A night or two later the message changed and was about fasting and praying instead of eating. When we got home after service James turned to me and said; if this is what these people believe then I'm not interested in going anymore. The reason he gave for saying that was; I promised myself that I would never do without anything I wanted and I'm sure not going without food.

True to his word he never went to church again as far as I know but became an alcoholic and a woman chaser.  Now strange as it seems he married a Christian woman, and she lived with him until he died years later.  She was a sweet lady and strong in the Lord.  He was never able to deter her from serving the Lord.

Luke 14:27-28 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

Luke 14:33 "It is the same for each of you. You must leave everything you have to follow me. If not, you cannot be my follower.

These were strong words, strong meat that takes a lot of chewing before you can get it to go down. If there is nothing else we can take from this it is that Jesus took discipleship very seriously and expects his followers to do the same.

There is a story about a man who wanted to go to heaven and as he talked to the Lord about it and the Lord asked, “What would you give to get into heaven?”  The man thought for awhile and said; “I would give my pickup.” and the Lord said “What else?”  He thought for awhile and said; “I'll give all my money,” “And what else,” said the Lord. The man said “I'll give my farm and all the equipment, and the wife and kids.” The Lord said, “What else?” and the man was frustrated and said, “I have given everything I have except me". The Lord answered and said; “That was what I wanted in the first place ‘you.’“

Should someone ask you "What would you give to go to heaven?" what would your answer be?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2i3t8n25u8&feature=related

This post is shared at: Stacy’s Heartprints Hallelujah

Also Linked with Laura’s Faith Filled Friday


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.