New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

FEELING EPISODES

Feeling or emotional episodes are deeply implanted into our memory banks.

There are experiences that are buried deep down in my memory banks that for all practical purposes they no longer exist.

However every once in awhile something is triggered and the whole event comes to life again.

Often it is an embarrassing moment. I really dislike the part of that memory event that causes me to blush and redden. On the other hand if it was a happy event then I can relish it all over again.

To ask me to forgive “unfair treatment” is difficult enough, but when I’m asked to forget it, that is beyond my control. Save for brain damage the only possible way I can’t remember a hurt, is for it to never have happened.

The same thing applies to the person who did it, for they will always remember that they did it.

Memories fade, and as long as we don’t brood over what took place, the hurt will subside, but some of us aren’t made that way.

We discover that we need to rehearse the issue over and again. It is like the only way to keep the “mad” going is to refresh our minds regularly.

While it is difficult to get beyond hurt it is even harder to get beyond guilt. Our minds want to relive the event, and serve up punishment again and again.

There is the story about a man who had this problem; the story goes; a man recently sent $100 to the IRS and said, "If I still can't sleep, I'll send more money."

How can we deal with our guilt? We rationalize it and make an excuse, or we just deny it thinking; “I was justified in doing what I did,” or try to run away from it, deny and ignore it.

A story is told of a man in Chelsea, Massachusetts stole a watch from his neighbor. Conscience stricken by his act, he tried to give the watch away but on one would take it.  Finally, he threw it away, but he could not throw away his guilt.  For 35 years he tried to get away from it, but to no avail.  Eventually, he sent a letter and some money to his rabbi and asked him to give it to the family from whom he had stolen the watch. He ran for 35 years, but he could not run away from his guilt.

In the similar manner, after we have run as far as we can, we will still hear the haunting footsteps just behind us, as our guilt follows incessantly in our pathway.

It would be grand if someone could forgive - - and forget our sins, and our weaknesses.

Psalms 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

Heb. 8:12 "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

GOD can do something I can’t do and that is to - - NOT remember if HE so chooses. When HE forgives he also forgets because in His memory our transgressions no longer exist.

Now, just to be on the safe side, I suggest you do some repenting before you pray for forgiveness otherwise GOD may think you are just self serving and not sincere. You are not going to do it again, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.