New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DARRELLS WOES chapter Four


My First Job
Courtesy google search

 I'm glad you returned to be with me again. Let's see I left of telling about my aunt teaching me how to dance.  Perhaps later I will get back to some experiences I had dancing, but for now I will go on and tell you some details about my daily life.

As I inched nearer to the most important day of my foreseeable future that was my sixteenth birthday.  This day was going to change my world.  Now I was old enough for a part time job.  
 
Off I went to all of the fast food places and asked for an application for employment. I got the same answer at each place; fill this out and bring it back after you turn sixteen and not before. I was elated and deflated at the same time for I hoped to go to work part time the first minute of my birthday.

As it happened when I gave each manager my application they would say; “We'll put this on file, when we need some help you will be considered meanwhile don't bother us.”

It was some six weeks later I received a phone call telling me to come in for an interview. I was there almost by the time they hung up ready to assure them I was their man.  After a number of questions that seemed irrelevant they said they would let me know. That wasn't the answer I was hoping for but I still had a chance.
 


I filled my time passing the written drivers test, getting a drivers permit and begging my dad to allow me to drive. By the time I was ready to take my driving test my dad was a nervous wreck, and had to get some pills from the doctor.

Now since I had a license to drive, my life became more tedious for I had nothing to drive. The family car was now off limits, and I was told when I got a job the money would go into my college fund.  I begged and pled for some wheels to no avail. What made it worse was several of the more affluent families had bought their kids new cars as a reward for staying out of trouble.

I didn't realized I could have this much passion for anything and I suffered mightily because my desires for a car were unfulfilled.

I received a call to come to work at a burger joint and I thought to myself, “now that I am employed surely I will need a car to get to work.”

But my dad said; “Why should you ride in a five thousand dollar used car when you could ride in a 200,000.00 dollar bus?” He then gave me a supply of quarters for bus fare.

My job at the burger place was flipping burgers and other menial tasks when I wasn't busy cooking. The only problem I had was the burger smell was hard to get off, and even after a long shower I still smelled good to anyone who was hungry.

They next thing I knew my tormentors at school nicknamed me Burger Dude.  

It was just another thing I had to live with.   
 
To be Continued

 
Please use the sign up box to receive the next chapters by e-mail
or go to my HOME PAGE and scroll down for previous chapters at:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.