New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

THE EMPTY STOCKING repost from 2010


Today is a True story to enter at Tell Me a Story.  My continued Fiction story will follow soon.  A new fiction continued story begins in a few days, so sign up to follow by e-mail and not miss out on each chapter.

Wishing you a Stocking Full of Good Tidings
courtesy photobucket.com
 
I can still remember when stockings were hung up for Christmas.  Each child would find the biggest stocking they could find and hang it up. We figured that the bigger the stocking the more goodies we would get.

For some reason my Christmas memories start at the age of five.  I’m sure that I got a little something before that, but I can’t remember what it was.

Chronologically I can only place one Christmas, before the age of five.  We had hung our stockings up and the next morning it wasn’t filled up to the heel.  A few nuts, an apple and an orange and that was it.  It wasn’t much but I was happy to get it.

One reason I remember my age five Christmas was because I got what I wanted, which was a pedal car with lights, and a pilot’s cap with glasses.  It didn’t matter that my stocking wouldn’t hold my gifts; the only thing that mattered was what I received.

I had more than one empty stocking Christmas, and sometimes we only had our regular fare to eat.

After marriage we always saw to it that our kids had a good Christmas with presents for each child.  Usually Christmas dinner was at the grandparent’s house until one day they announced that from now on the dinners would be at my place.  That was a surprise but from that time on, that was the way it was.

Thinking back I remember those Christmas, and the empty stockings, this was supposed to be a special time where you received rewards for being good.

Being older I think of a time when we shall be joined unto the Lord’s house and enjoy Christmas in heaven.  I expect to have my stocking hung and to receive presents galore.

Rev.22:12 Behold, I am coming quickly, and my reward is with me, to render to every man according to what he has done.

The last thing I want to see is an empty stocking with my name on it.  All it takes is - - to obey the rules and it will be the happiest Christmas of them all.


Merry Christmas
courtesy free clip art

 
This post is shared at: Tell Me a Story   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.