New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

The Bargain (repost)


This post is an extra story to be entered at Hazel's "Tell Me a True Story."  My continued stories will resume soon.

Love Tree
courtesy free clip art
My wife and I were talking, nothing special just chit chatting.  I mentioned people get married for many reasons.  

I said. “Some women get married for money,” and after thinking for a minute, I said, “Some men marry for money also.”

Some even get married for what they think is love, and again some for convenience sake, like two can pay the bills, the rent and all the other necessities better than one.

After we had exhausted the subject, she spoke up and said somewhat facetiously, “I married you for your money!” 

Now as I thought back to when we got married, I only had a few dollars, and was barely working part time.  

I couldn’t let that pass without a smart retort because I thought she was raw-hiding me a little bit, but I couldn’t think of anything to say. 

I began to add up all my assets in order to figure out just what she got.

Well I gave her four kids to raise, there would have been more, but she put a stop to that.  The last one just made it under the wire before cutoff time.

When I went into business I gave her a job running the office that had to count for something. 

She was already frugal, so I couldn’t take credit for that.  She always had a place to sleep and food to eat, and I even let her pay for part of it. 

And bringing things down to the present, she has three dogs who love her dearly, and a pickup truck that rides like a car.

One other thing she has about fifty pounds more husband now than when she married him. 

So all in all I guess she made out pretty good, at least I think so.


This post is shared at: Tell Me a Story

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.