New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

LISTERS HOLLOW Chapter 3


Jake
courtesy google search
 
With Lucy improving each day, she and Risen were ready to move back across the river to their home.

Risen couldn’t find Jake his hound dog, so he got Lucy from his folk’s place and was hoping he could find him when he got back home.

First he got Lucy settled in and then started calling his dog Jake.  He went deep into the woods calling him but he didn’t come.  He went back to the house and did the chores that needed to be done and settled in for the night.

A neighbor by the name of Cox came by to check on them and see if they needed anything.
 
Risen told Cox that he had lost his dog and didn’t know where to look next for he covered everywhere he should have been.  He said he sure hated to lose him for he raised him from a pup.

The neighbor Cox said he heard about someone over the top had found a dog and was planning on keeping him.  Risen said, “I think I will mosey over there and see if he has Jake.”

Cox said, “You had better take your gun for if it is who I think it is, he is real mean and will shoot you for little or no reason.”

Risen said, “Thanks for the advice but I’m going to see if he has Jake.”

Cox said, “Wait until I go and get my rifle and I will go with you.”

A half hour later he was back and they set out. It was a long steep climb out of the valley and when they reached the top they had to rest for a while.

After resting they started down the other side of the mountain, and Risen called Jake every few minutes and after a while they heard him start to bark.  He called him again and he barked some more but didn’t come.

Risen said, “They got him tied up or in a room with the door closed so he can’t get out.”  He said, “It looks like I will have to go down to their place and get him.”

As they came into view of the place they could see Jake all tied up.

Risen whistled and Jake saw him and began to jump around.
           
All of this commotion caused the people to come out and see what was going on.

Risen said, “I’m going in but you stay out of sight and take aim at the one who is the most dangerous looking.  I will cock my pistol and rifle so they are ready to fire.”

Risen walked slowly to the house and the man there told him not to come any closer.

Risen continued walking and the man raised his rifle toward Risen.

All of a sudden a shot rang out and knocked the man’s hat off.  Risen pointed his pistol toward another and said, “I’ve come for my dog.”

They started to object when another shot rang out knocking another man’s hat off his head.

Risen said, “That was the last warning shot.  The next one will ready one of you for the burying.  He said this is the last time I’m going to tell you to untie my dog.”

One of the men that was closest to Jake went over and loosed him but kicked him as he started for Risen.  Risen put a bullet through the leg he used to kick Jake with and he fell screaming in pain.  

He then said, “Does anyone else want to kick Jake?  He said drop your guns in the well and the one who is in the house with a gun pointed in my direction has till I count to five to get out here.  A woman came out in a hurry and threw her gun into the well with the rest.  

Risen said if any of you show yourself on the other side of the hill you will not return.
 
The three, Risen, Cox, and Jake made the long climb back over the hill.  

Risen said, “I can’t thank you enough for siding me for I would have been in trouble if you hadn’t used your turkey shoot eye on those men.”

All three were happy to be going home but the most happy one was Jake.

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.