New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

OH LAWD chapter 16



Courtesy Free Clip Art
 
Having got through the worst period of my life so far, I got back to normal for a boy my age.

The next Saturday Linda and I went to the movie again and Marly and her boyfriend were sitting three rows in front of us. Things were going well when I saw Marly slap her boyfriend, and say some angry words in a whispered tone which I couldn't understand. He got up abruptly and left while Marly stayed and sat alone.

She walked home with Linda and me. They lagged back and were talking while I impatiently walked ahead.  Finally I just walked on home while they were engaged in some private girl talk. Neither Linda nor Marly would answer me when I asked what they were talking so serious about.

After a while I gathered Marley’s friend had gotten too fresh and went too far. When I told her I was going to beat him up she said, “Just forget it for that was the last of him as far as I am concerned.”

I said, “If he calls you again let me talk to him or he bothers you at school let me know and I will put a stop to it.” As it turned out she wasn't bothered by him any more.

I asked Noonan if he had any more stories he could tell me and he said, “Did I ever tell you about moving to Mexico and marrying a Mexican girl?”

I said, “No, I don't think so.”  He said, “It was a number of years ago when I lived in San Diego California. There were two women fighting over me, each of which thought I was her man.

That may have been my fault because when I had a couple of drinks I didn't know what I was doing.  Sometimes I would ask a woman to marry me and that got me in a lot of trouble.  As it turned out both of them set a date for us to wed and as it happened it was the same date for both ladies.  Each of them came from big families and I mean they were a lot of them and their brothers were monsters.

I knew I couldn't marry both so I crossed the border into Mexico and went south to a small town. It wasn't long before I knew many families, and was invited to wed the older sister. Accordingly to their standards she was too old to attract most men for they all wanted teenagers for wives.

courtesy Free clip art
It didn't bother me that she was twenty four or five or even twenty six. I never knew for sure how old she was, because that was a family secret.

Her name Alisa and she did most of the cooking for the family and they insisted I move in with them for they didn't want to lose their cook. Outside of getting a little wood for cooking and a few chores I didn't have to do much of anything.

I still remember the first time I ate her cooking. I took a big bite of something and at first I tasted the delicious flavor of the food and a few seconds later the hot seasoning hit me. Those peppers took the skin off of the inside of my mouth. After a few days I could tolerate the heat although the scarring that took place damaged my palate somewhat.

He said that although we were married she never slept with me, and I thought that was strange for Mexican girls are known for being quite passionate.

I thought well after all I had everything else I needed, and it was siesta time most often for me. Then something strange happened.  She was going to have a baby.

At first it must be a miracle until I found out she had a boyfriend. As it turned out I wasn't married to her after all. The guy who was supposed to be a priest wasn't a priest at all, and she was really married to a fellow her father hated. When the father found out what was going on, at first he blamed me.

I explained that I was as surprised as he was. To make a longer explanation shorter he told me to leave, and her real husband moved in.
 
I wanted to get out of there before someone did harm to me, so I caught an old bus to Ciudad Juárez and then crossed over to El Paso.”

Oh Lawd!   
 
 To be Continued
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.