New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

RUSTLERS ALERT!!


image courtesy photobucket.com

As a boy I grew up loving western movies.  William S. Hart was a little before my time but Ken Maynard, Bob Steele and a host of others were my contemporaries (although I was only about 5 years old).

Cattle rustling has been going on in real life for the last 200 plus years and continues today. We were too poor to own any cattle (although we had a milk cow from time to time) but what we did have was chickens.

image courtesy photobucket.com
Now in our part of the country there were chicken rustlers. We usually had to leave someone at home to make sure our chickens weren't rustled while we were away.

This interfered with church going because if everyone went to church we would worry about the safety of our chickens and we couldn't enjoy the sermon.

Now there was a widow woman down the road apiece who was rustled and all her chickens (except a few who escaped) were stolen. She said she knew who took them but was afraid to accused them. She figured that they moved them out of the county and had already sold um.

Now it is stressful to know there are chicken thieves in the neighborhood and you can't do anything about it. You know who they are and that they are just looking for a chance to steal your flock (our chickens were just like cash for we could sell them or their eggs).

As time has gone by and I don't have chickens anymore but today the thieves are still trying to steal my chicken feed (an old expression meaning my paltry sums).

In John 10:10 Jesus said; But a thief does not come except to steal, kill and destroy.

That is the thief's first and principal view;  to steal, to invade, seize, and carry away another's property. Such teachers that come not in by the right door, or with a divine commission, seek to deceive, and carry away the sheep of Christ from him (Gill notes)

Even as I guarded our chickens I still have to stand guard over my offspring and cover them with my resistance to their enemies and protect them with my prayers.

1 Peter 5:8 Be clear-minded and alert. Your opponent, the devil, is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour (or those you love).

Of course in order to do this I must walk as I ought and a good place to start is with

1 Peter 3:7 In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God's gift of new life.  Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered.

Don't let your chickens be rustled!

This post is linked with Jennifer at: God-Bumps and God-Incidences

This post is also shared at: “Tell Me a True Story” http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

I do hope you are also enjoying reading as many stories as you can and giving your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.