New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

THE RACER Chapter 31



Marry Me
courtesy photobucket.com
 
Leslie was a little taken aback by what Lucas said, but was pleased at the same time.

She told him, ‘Now there is one thing you must know and that is I am not some kind of junkie that is looking for some new thrill to worship for a few days and then move on.  

I’ve gotten past that stage long ago and am looking for some one who is stable and doesn’t require constant ego reinforcement to keep them on an even keel.”

She went on to say, “I think you might be the type of person that I have been looking for, and perhaps I have found him.”

Lucas didn’t respond to that with words but rather embraced her and held her without saying anything for a long time.  He could tell she responded by her relaxing in his arms.

Finally he broke the silence but didn’t release his embrace and said, “I have two questions to ask you.  The first is do you want to marry me, and when do you wish to get married if you do?”

Without hesitation she answered, “To the first question the answer is… yes and to the second… as soon as school is out for the summer.”

Lucas said that sounds great and kissed her for a long time.  He said, “I hope you like the furniture we picked out.”  

She said, “Don’t worry about that.  I had me in mind as well as you when we made the selections.”

He said, “I thought so, there seemed to be more than a feminine interest in the things we selected.”

He said, “If it’s okay with you, tomorrow we will go shopping for some rings.”

She answered, “That will be easy for I know the set I want and have told the Jeweler I might be by soon to pick them up.”

Lucas said, “How did you know I was going to ask you to marry me?”

She replied as she kissed him, “There are some things a woman knows before the man does.”

Lucas said. “I must remember that.  I’m beginning to feel married already.”

Leslie said, “I promised to call my sister as soon as you asked me, so I had better call her now for I know she is on pins and needles.”

She made the call and her sister wanted to know every detail with nothing left out.

Lucas couldn’t stand it so he left the room and turned the radio on.  

An hour later she came in and said. “They both wished us good luck and other well wishes.  Abel told me that I got a good man with which I totally agree with him.”

While Leslie laid out plans for the wedding Lucas’s mind drifted over to the new plant and the progress that had been made.  

The offices were finished enough for them to begin moving in.

The next day Marley called Lucas and wanted him to come to the old facility.  

When he arrived he saw a crude looking cycle.  Marley told him to take some pictures and then dismantle it.  

While this puzzled Lucas he had learned long ago that Marley always had some reason for what he was doing.  

After Lucas and a helper had the bike completely torn apart Marley came over and said, “What do you think?”
        
Lucas said. “I need a little time to fully understand this machine, but on the surface it looks well made for the purpose it was intended.  It is ugly and not very comfortable but that wasn’t the purpose it was made for is my guess.”

Marley said, “There is going to be a war in Europe again and this is one of the machines that will play a big part in the war if it happens.”

Lucas said. “It is far simpler than our model but looks like it would take a beating and still perform.”

Marley said, “That is just what I think.  After looking at this I can see where we can improve on our model and we need to get started on the redesign of it now.”

Lucas said, “We can do the design work here for it isn’t going to be that complicated and by the time we are finished the new plant should be far enough along to start moving into.”

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.