New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

WHAT TIME IS IT

As a boy I had many things of which I was proud, not the least of which was a pilot’s cap with goggles attached to it. There was a peddle car with battery powered head lights, and my first pair of long pants, which I got at age five.

The one thing that stood out above all others was my first dollar Ingersoll Watch. I possessed the "Radiolite" with a luminous dial that I could see in the dark. It was great to lie in bed with the covers over my head, and see my watch glowing out the time.

My watch filled up my pocket because it was a big un. I had it out a lot, hoping someone would ask; “What time is it?” When that would happen, I could proudly give them the time of day. For me, it couldn't get any better than that!

For the life of me, I don't know why I thought I was a watchmaker. I would take the back off and watch the balance wheel, and spring move back, and forward which was better known as the “rotary oscillating system." I was so fascinated by that, I decided to see what else was in the case. It didn't take long to figure out how to take it apart; in fact it helped me, because when I loosened some screws, parts flew everywhere in all directions.

Some people might have been startled by that event, but I just calmly picked up what parts I could find, and inspected them. Some time passed, and I thought I had better put it back together again, so I could have the time on me, in case someone asked. I started to put it together, and before long, panic began to set in. All too soon, it was apparent that the only thing I knew how to do was to snap the back on.

It still had the luminous dial, and hands, but it would never tell the right time again, well maybe it would - - twice a day.

I didn't puke, but was real close to it - - for I was sick.

I don't think I have ever got over that experience, for it was one of those things you can't forget. No longer could I be able to answer, it is, and give someone the right time.

A couple of years passed and I found out that Ingersoll had made a Mickey Mouse wrist watch. How wonderful it would be, if I could get one of those. I saved every penny I could get. In those days most soda bottles were reusable glass and there was a deposit on them. Every bottle I could find was returned, and the deposit money went toward my new watch. After some time I had begged, borrowed, and found enough money to buy it.

At the Montgomery Ward store they had many of the Mickey Mouse watches. There were pocket watches and Minnie Mouse wrist watches, and even Donald Duck watches. After giving it much thought, I selected the one I wanted, and on my wrist it went, wound up and the time was set.

Time is calculated in many ways, by hours, weeks, months, and years; by condition, health and usefulness.
GOD, who is a SPIRIT, is not governed by time, and space, but rather by an eternal existence. Still he relates to people within a time zone, and in a timed existence, in which our past, and future has its substance. The most important time man will ever know, is the day of salvation. Seek ye the LORD while He may yet be found for this is the day of salvation.

2Corinthians 6:2 For he says, behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.