New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

BARTERING

In the distant past there was a practice started called bartering.

It was used in many ways, the simple exchange of goods, or a more sophisticated system, using a third party. But for most purposes, it enables those who are lacking in hard currency to obtain goods and services.

Today, it might be called a swap meet, where no cash is involved, only goods or services are exchanged.

Bartering has many faces, world wide it is an eight billion dollar industry. Some States object to this economic process, because they want to tax every survival tactic people use.

Jesus made the statement; (paraphrase) what good is success if you go to Hades, and what would you give in exchange for eternal salvation?

This disturbing question haunts every one who has ever heard or read it.

It is as a specter, always diminishing their joy and happiness, because of the demand to give something they do not have. What could be worthy enough to barter for salvation? One writer met this situation as a person unable to perform, when he saw himself, empty of goods to trade, he wrote;

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
1. Let me hide myself in thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.


2. Not the labors of my hands
Can fulfill thy law's commands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and thou alone.


3. Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to thee for dress;
Helpless, look to thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.


4. While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in thee

To this I say, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.