New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

HOWDY MY NAME IS LOT

Lot is a boy's name that is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Lot is "veil" wrap closely, envelop.

In today’s language it might mean to cover up or hide.

Having been born into a family of idolaters I wasn’t really a worshiper of the true GOD but for convenience sake I pretended to be religious.

Sadly my father died. Grandpa Terah took me in and we moved up north to Haran. We did pretty well there and uncle Abram got rich with many servants and animals.

Just when things were going good the one true GOD spoke to Abram and told him to go south and made him many promises. I decided it would be best for me to go with him for safeties sake.

Off we went and stopped in Shechem. We were settled in and then came the famine. So we packed up, moved again, and we went to Egypt where we received favorable treatment.

While we were in Egypt something happened to Abram, he began to be afraid that because his wife, Sarai was pretty and he feared someone would kill him and take her. He pretended that she was his sister and the ruler took her into his palace. GOD then brought a plague upon Pharaoh. When he found why the plague had fallen upon him, he sent us away. I must say that was embarrassing to get run out of the country.

Well it was back to Bethel and the rains came and the grass grew. Both I and Abram had flocks that grew so big that in order to keep the peace we had to separate. He told me to choose where I wanted to go and he would go the other way. I choose the better land and did very well, so well that I moved into the city of Sodom. While I didn’t approve of the way the sodomites conducted themselves I seemed to fit in okay.

Then one day we were attacked and the city was over run, robbed and both people and goods were taken. When Abram heard about me being captured he followed and whipped these robbers and returned everything to the people.

Well I was glad that I got my stuff back and everything returned to normal until a strange event took place which changed me forever.

Unbeknownst to me Abram had been entertaining some angels who took on the appearance of men. They told Abram the cities Sodom and Gomorra were going to be destroyed and all who were in it including me.

Abram started to negotiate with the angels saying the righteous shouldn’t be destroyed because of the evil in those cities, whereupon the angels agreed that if there were ten righteous people there they would spare the cities.

As it turned out that there weren’t even ten righteous people in these cities.

I was sitting at the city gate when these angels came and I insisted they come to my house and stay. Later that evening I was outside and the men of the city came and demanded that I bring the men (angels) out so they could have sex with them as was their custom. When I refused they attack me and the angels pulled me into the house. I had two married daughters that had not yet taken up residence with their husbands and were still virgins that I offered to the men for sexual purposes but they refused for they lusted after the men.

The angels caused blindness to come upon the men and they could not see, this broke they proposed party, but suddenly time was of the essence. The angels urged us to flee from the city for destruction was upon us.

This was a moment of decision for me. The last thing I wanted to do was to leave all my goods and the lifestyle I had grown accustom to but I opted to get out while I could, from the way the angels described it, it was time to go. I went to my son-in-laws and tried to get them to flee but they just ridiculed me.

The angels took me my wife and daughters by the hand and led us out saying “don’t look back.” My wife had to have one last look and she was turned into a salt lick.

The destruction was so complete that there is nothing left to indicate the cities ever existed.

I ended up living in a cave with my two girls and they were worried that I wouldn’t have any descendents so they come up with this plan. The oldest one got me drunk and had sex with me and the next night the youngest got me drunk and she had sex with me. As it happened both were pregnant and had boys. It appeared that I had both sons and grandsons from this event. The girls named them, one was called Moab and the other was Ben-Ammi.

Like any father I was proud of my boys. From them came two nations the Moabites and the Ammonites. Later these tribes were a throne-in the-flesh of the Israelites. Time was passing and I faded from the scene.

They didn’t even make mention of my demise but years later it was said of me; “But God also rescued Lot out of Sodom because he was a righteous man who was sick of the shameful immorality of the wicked people around him.” Strange as it seems even though I felt this way I continued to live there until forced to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.