New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

HOW SERIOUS SHOULD WE TAKE PRAYER?


On the surface this might seem like a strange question to ask. On the other hand one might ask themselves how they really feel about prayer.

Now of course everybody prays, is what first comes to mind, but how serious do I take prayer? Are there different levels of seriousness depending on the type of prayer? Where do I put my focus as I begin to address myself to GOD?

Regardless of the import of the petition do I realize that I am going to speak to the Almighty GOD of the universe? Well now, do I expect HIM to give ear to me and listen while I expound on the worthiness of my request? Does every utterance directed toward GOD demand my full attention as to respect, and do I honor HIM by my confidence in HIM to be responsive?

That being said; is my heart conditioned to come before such a one in a bold manner as expressed in Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore draw near with boldness unto the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and may find grace to help us in time of need.

Do we dare to approach HIM without preparation of heart?

Luke 11:1-4 He was praying in a certain place, and when he ceased, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples." And he said to them, "When you pray, say: ‘Father, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread; and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive every one who is indebted to us; and lead us not into temptation ...  

Luke 1:5-6 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.  But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you openly.”

Let me see now; I am planning to use the name of Jesus as a climax to my prayer but where does the hallowed be his name come in? Then I go to my room and shut the door that sounds like I need to give prayer my full attention. Am I expectant when I pray, if so what is the basis for that expectancy? Who does answered prayer depend upon me or GOD, or a combination of both or even something more?

1John 5:15-16 This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.

Whatever the case may be; how serious should we take prayer? As serious as you possible can, and always remembering to whom you are addressing your prayer.

Talk about being human, check out ole George. http://www.wholesomewords.org/biography/bmuller2.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.