New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

HOWDY MY NAME IS ESAU


Isaac prayed to the Lord for his wife Rebekah was barren. God listened to Isaac’s prayer, and she became pregnant.

Rebekah noticed that her pregnancy was unusual. She was pregnant with twins and there seemed to be an internal struggle within her.

When she passed the Beth Midrash (study hall) Jacob sought to get out. Upon passing a place of idol worship, Esau wanted to go forth.

God thereby informed Rebecca that the children she was carrying would be the forbearers of two great nations. These two children were going to be two great warriors.

One child would devote his energies to the conquest of the external world. The second child would concentrate his abilities on the conquest of the internal world. The two children were not ordinary people, but possessed excessive energies and the abundant talent and ability to mold the external world.

Interesting comments by; Rabbi Israel Chait.
His entire writing view at http://www.mesora.org/esau.html

My story is written here is somewhat abbreviated.

Genesis 25:27-28 When the boys grew up, Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the field; but Jacob was a peaceful man, living in tents. Now Isaac loved Esau, because he had a taste for game; but Rebekah loved Jacob.

Jacob and I had the same father and mother but that was the only similarities we shared. We didn’t look alike, act alike, think alike and had different value systems. Jacob was a momma’s boy while I lived among the soldiers and hunters who were a rough bunch and I fit right in. They respected me for I was Isaac’s son but beyond that I was one of them. I loved their stories about their exploits even if they were mostly lies, they fed some inner craving I was possessed by.

Jacob on the other hand liked to stay around home tending the sheep and goats and was known as Chef Jacob because he was a great cook. My cooking skills were limited to roasting on a home made spit.

It came down to the fact that dad loved me and mom loved Jacob. She was always looking out for his interest.

As we grew up Jacob made a study of me, my weaknesses and how to manipulate me. One day things went badly, the hunt was unsuccessful and I was hungry and discouraged.

Arriving at home I smelled some stew Jacob was cooking. I felt I was starving and weak so I said to him; give me some of that stew. He said, “You give me something and I’ll give you something.” Since I was the first born I had the family birthright, number one in respect and inheritance, but in that moment of weakness Jacob cheated me out of my rightful position.

When I had eaten and the realization of what I had struck me, I was sick and hated the birthright that was no longer mine. After losing or giving away my birthright I no longer had the respect of my family and the servants I once held. At first it didn’t bother me but as time went on it became a bigger issue.

I still was in line for the blessing of the father where he would restore some of the authority I had lost through my foolishness. Once again Jacob “The deceiver” cheated me out of what was mine, the blessing of father Isaac;

Then he (Isaac)blessed his son (Jacob) with the words: “And may the Lord give you of the dew of the heavens and [of] the fatness of the earth and an abundance of corn and wine. Nations shall serve you and kingdoms shall bow down to you; you shall be a master over your brothers, and your mother's sons shall bow down to you. Those who curse you shall be cursed, and those who bless you shall be blessed!”

I had lost the birthright by folly but the lost blessing of the father was through total deceit. When I realized what had happened my anger became uncontrollable and I sought to kill this tormentor.

When my father realized I could no longer stand my brother and I intended to kill him, he sent Jacob away where he would be protected from me.

It seemed that my entire family was against me and the only thing I could do to get even was to do something they were all totally against and that was to marry some of the local girls. This they hated but I didn’t care.

Being left alone I began to prosper and began to be a person of note on my own as I had been promised. Many years later I was reconciled to Jacob; my anger had abated due to time and my successes.

The rest of the details are written in the record for all to read.









No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.