New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

OLD AGE AND PRAYER

Older Lady Praying
image courtesy photobucket.com

The only thing sure is death and taxes so says Ben Franklin.

On the way to demise is old age unless the grim reaper intervenes and takes you sooner.

There is a prayer in Old Age, attributed to a Seventeenth Century Nun which in part reads; "Lord, you know better than I know myself that I am getting older and will someday be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all, but you know, but Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.

I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessening cocksureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. I do not want to be a saint-some of them are so hard to live with-but a sour old woman is one of the crowning works of the devil."

My mother-in-law just passed on to glory at age 100, but until the very end she would pray for people. She never gave up the privilege of prayer.  One of her favorite songs was, "What a friend we have in Jesus."  It has the line "What a privilege to carry everything to GOD in prayer," and says it very well.

Knowing this should elevate prayer in our view to a higher plane.

Psalms 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."   Our access to this help is through prayer in the name of Jesus.

It behooves the believer to experience prayer and praying for it will be that which sustains you to the end and will be your power source when all other strength fails.

Strange as it may sound it will serve you well to become proficient in prayer, to learn how to pray and what works for you in your time of need.

One of the most humbling things I know is that at different times in my life there has been someone who cared enough for me to pray for me.

The prayer of Jesus in John 17:20 "I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message" 

That is ever a comfort to me, for Jesus included me. A beautiful song of prayer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu3o8W5JMuU

This post is linked with Jennifer at: God-Bumps and God-Incidences
Also Linked with Paula’s Welcoming Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.