New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

FIVE AND ONE HALF - Chapter 11


We're going to be in France for Six months
 
I hadn’t heard from Lesley’s mother since the first call I got telling me Lesley was in a convent in France. Then she called me again.

She said she was going to France to join Lesley and they were going to be there for six months. She being candid said.  “I didn’t want to call you but Lesley made me promise to do it.”

I was taken aback by what she said but asked her if Lesley had sent any message for me. 

Her mother hesitated but finally she said, “Tell Josh I have made up my mind and I will see him when I get back.” 

“Is that all,” I asked, and she said, “That’s it.”

“Can I have the address where you are staying.”

Abruptly she said, “No you may not, goodbye.”

I thought that wasn’t very nice, I wonder what I have ever done to deserve the treatment she continues to give me.

Against her mothers wishes Lesley wrote me but her mother intercepted the letter and destroyed it.

Later when of course I didn’t answer her letter, she told Lesley I was dating another girl and didn’t write back because I wasn’t interested in her any longer.

Of course I didn’t find this out until later.

I'm getting ready to leave for France said her Dad
The six months passed and no word so I called her father and asked when she was going to return. 
 
He said he was joining them in France and they would be there another six months.

I was finally getting the message; her parents didn’t like me and certainly didn’t want me for a son-in-law.

A month went by and suddenly it occurred to me that I knew a guy who was in Paris and he knew some of Leslie’s friends.

They might know where she lived in Paris. It took some doing but he found out what Lesley’s address was.

Since he also knew Lesley I asked him to call her and find out what was going on.

She was glad to talk to someone from home and she told him that I had more or less dumped her.

He told her that wasn’t the way he heard it. He said she should come to his house and phone me from there.

My friend knew Leslie’s family and when he contacted them they were glad to have him over. When he arrived they insisted the he and Lesley see the sights together.

They hoped something would develop and she would completely forget me. My friend and Lesley made plans to go to the Louvre which the parents approved of but instead they went to his house and phoned me.


Hello was all she could say !
They reversed the charges on the call to me and I answered on the third ring. It had been over a year and a half since I had heard her voice on the other end of the line.

Her voice seemed to quiver when she first started to talk to me.
 
She spent the first couple of minutes saying hello and asking about how I was.

I broke in on her and said, “There is something I want to know, and I want to know it right now.”
 

To be Continued
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.