New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

DOING WHAT COMES NATURALLY


image courtesy photobucket.com

As I was musing about the Natural Man, I was reminded of the silly song from "Annie get your gun"

Folks are dumb where I come from,
They ain't had any learning.
Still they're happy as can be
Doin' what comes naturally (doin' what comes naturally).

This pre-supposes that our evolved instincts are enough to guide us through life without outside interference.

Thomas Hobbes got the "State of nature" just about right 350 years ago: No arts; no letters; no society; and worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death; the life of man is, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. In other words "The natural man."

In defining the natural man the scripture says;

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness to him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Christianity can be approached in two ways: by living it, or by studying how it should be done.

We are the product of the Word, and the Spirit and as such must continue therein. One without the other leaves us in a compromised position which is trying to live the Christian life . . . un-enabled.

One could compare this to trying to play baseball without either the ball or the bat. It takes both to play the game.

Since we function by habit either on objectivity or subjectivity or a mish mash of both, we bring this approach to our Christian walk. While in fact we are human animals, we are not merely an animal. We have the power of choice and are spirit and flesh with the capacity to receive the Spirit of GOD into our very being for we are GOD'S creation, born anew from above.

If I were inexpugnable as regarding my faith then my dependence upon GOD'S word and his SPIRIT would of necessity be somewhat lessened but due to my subjective viewpoint I must constantly rely objectively on both.

Part of the lyrics to the song "Getting to know you "are as follows;

Getting to know you, Getting to know all about you. Getting to like you,
Getting to hope you like me. Getting to know you,
Putting it my way, But nicely, You are precisely, My cup of tea
Getting to know you, Getting to feel free and easy. When I am with you,
Getting to know what to say, Haven't you noticed Suddenly I'm bright and breezy?

Because of all the beautiful and new Things I'm learning about God, I am getting to KNOW HIM better day by day.

This post is linked with Lori’s Word Filled Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.