New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

THE PEDDLIN WAGON



My second cousin Buck Worley and his wife ran a general store where you could get most everything the country folks needed.

If you wanted to shoe your horse, they had shoes and horse shoe nails. If you needed a horse collar and pad it was there. You could also get outfitted with a new pair of overalls and a shirt to match.

I loved to watch the gas pump when someone needed some gas. It was the old type where you used a pump handle to fill a glass bowl and then the gas ran down into the tank by gravity.


image by photo bucket

 

It came around once a week and you could place an order which they would fill. Or you could just get up on the truck and shop just like in the store for they had all the things people ordinarily used right there available for sale.

I enjoyed seeing the truck coming; actually you could hear it long before it got there.

The only thing I didn’t like was when I had no money to spend and could only look at what I would like to have.

Thinking back there so many stories concerning the Peddling Truck that today seem to be a world away, but yet they are still alive in my memories with all the flavors of expectancy and at other times disappointments.







Some of the older folks couldn’t make it down to the store so they depended upon the “Peddling Truck.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.