New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

NO FOOL LIKE AN OLD FOOL

How can we consider ourselves educated, without learning at least a part of the "OLD SAYINGS"?

Some of this wisdom dates back to antiquity. The easiest time to remember them is when you have violated the principle taught by them.

Whether old or young any of us can act a fool - -without actually being a fool, and that is a little disconcerting.

I have got to the place where it is hard to get me to leave the house, for in my own home, I still have a little control over events in my life. But as soon as I leave home, I am exposed to many unpleasant things.

There are times when I must venture forth to shop and do the things necessary to survive. Each trip out is an adventurous move I have embarked upon, and I know I am going to inadvertently tick someone off for I have seldom avoided offending someone.

By the same token knowing myself, I know something is going to displease me. Now take this for an example; my wife Hazel and I went into a store to buy some groceries and, maybe I should stop here for this story isn't very interesting. It isn't germane to making you happy, but if you want to know what happened, read on anyway.

We came out of the store, and were going to place our purchases in our van when I see this old man, maybe a little younger than me, but still old; and he was urinating between his and our car. He had managed to spray it all over the walking area. I advised Hazel to walk around the van because I didn’t want to get his DNA on her shoes and take it home with us.

As you might suspect she paid about as much attention to me as my kids do, and pushed by him as he finished up.  I’m almost sure she averted her eyes, but she wouldn’t be deterred from getting into the van on her side.

At this time certain scriptures came to mind, one of which was:  If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also.  Only in this case, I felt like being the one who did the smiting, and I would have gladly smote his other cheek also.

I did have a few words with him, whereupon he arrogantly would repeat every word that I just said.  I told him he was just a few feet from a store with facilities, and he should have availed himself of them.  He went away into the store mumbling to himself, and my nonviolent nature saved him from a whipping.

Both old and young take advantage of their age and expect their behavior to be overlooked, haven't you found it to be so? And so it goes in my world.

The song below has nothing to do with anything but it isn't as painful as some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t1JsC1Zik&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.