New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

MANIPULATING LANGUAGE

There is an old saying among builders and tradesmen that says; “Measure twice, and cut once.”

While this is a common saying it is ignored frequently by many carpenters, and some times it causes them to be sorry for not obeying the rule.

Perhaps if we applied the same rule to our speaking, we would have less to apologize and feel sorry for; “Think twice and speak once.”

Language is the prime method of communicating with one another, and there are different kinds of languages several of which are manipulating by their very nature.

There is a difference between a clerk and a salesman. A clerk will be there to help you find what you want and assist you in other ways.

A salesman will try to make up your mind to buy his product even if you don’t want it.

This method of using manipulative language has reached it’s acme by the door to door salesman. Once they start their sales pitch it is almost impossible to get rid of them. It reminded me of trying to get rid of the itch back in the thirties.

Today’s version of manipulative language is best practiced by the politicians. It is; promise them everything, give them nothing, and convince them that you did what you promised. Alas, we fall for it or at least most of us do.

While being manipulated by them, we hear how bad their opponents are, and we are left to choose between the lesser of two or more evils.

The professional manipulator’s job is to bend you to their will, and get you to do what they want you to do. Then they convince you it was your idea in the first place.

Have I ever been manipulated? You betcha I have, and will I ever experience it again? You betcha I will, in fact I can hardly wait for it to happen again, and if it doesn’t happen I will feel disappointed for that has become a way of life for me.

I should mention the master manipulator in passing, who is Satan himself for he has had some success with me. It is said sin is, “Missing the mark,” and there have been times I not only missed the mark but have missed the target all together.

I hope I’m alone in this, but in case I’m not - - when you feel that Satan is using his wiles (manipulating language) on you, remember; when you resist the devil he will flee from you.

Perhaps we need some Holy Ghost filled ear plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.