New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

LAST CHANCE

Heinold's, “First and Last Chance" in Oakland, California, was opened in 1883.

Located on the docks of Oakland, it would have been the last chance for drinkers to imbibe before falling under the jurisdiction of their boat's captain. While it wasn't a legally dry area, a boat could often be practically dry. Even if a captain chose to allow alcohol, it would have been relatively scarce and usually tightly regulated.

During my travels around Oakland (having been partially raised there) I have seen this watering hole many times, although I never went there just to see it. To me it looked like a rats nest about to fall down. It has been restored to better condition than it was when first built.

If it hadn’t been one of the places where Jack London visited and drank, it would have been tore down and something else built there, but places rooted in history are now protected and I think it is a good idea to do that.

There are many Last chance saloons, Last chance for gas or food, or so the signs say, and when traveling through unfamiliar territory it usually a good idea to play it safe and fill your gas tank, and get some water to take with you just in case the signs were true. One of my most uncomfortable feelings has been when out in the boonies with the gas gauge nearing empty.

Due to the fact that there are warnings everywhere we sometime ignore them. Some warnings are little more than attempts fight off lawsuits, others are critical like bridge out ahead.

In the Bible there are so many warnings that it is easy to become callous to them. While some carry with it little penalty others are critical with eternal results.

2Corinthians. 6:1-2 As God's partners, we beg you not to accept this marvelous gift of God's kindness and then ignore it. For God says, "At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you." Indeed, the "right time" is now. Today is the day of salvation.

Today there is the gospel of salvation preached by pulpit, radio, TV, and written word, every form of media, and it proclaims that today is the day of salvation, there is no tomorrow, it is always present tense.

Putting off salvation is neglect of which there are ample warnings against doing. Be sure it isn't on your “biggest mistake I ever made list”.

So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak?

That is a good question that requires a good answer, what will be your excuse for neglecting GOD’S offer to be saved? Supposed you had to answer it right now.

I recall once when my Aunt, and her husband stopped be for a visit and after they left my uncle was faced with that question.  Ten minutes later for he was killed in a wreck. Today now is the time of salvation.

Recently a man I knew and had conversations with him about GOD, and he was leaning toward salvation, but he had a fall, went into a coma immediately and died shortly without regaining consciousness. He has now had to answer for neglecting his salvation.

John 6:37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.