New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

I SETTLED FOR THAT

There have been times in my life when I didn't get what I wanted and had to settle for what I could get.

Going back a ways before I was born, my mother wanted a girl and she had to settle for a boy.

Let me tell you, that is no way for a boy to start out. She dressed me up like a doll until it was too embarrassing to endure! A real boy, dressed like a doll, a boy who could walk and talk, out where people could see him.

Finally I progressed to short pants, but It wasn't until I was four, that I began to protest about not having long pants. My protests fell on deaf ears, and I had to settle for knickers. Due to the fact that mother knows best, I didn't get what I wanted and had to settle for what she wanted me to wear.

When all the other guys got Levi jeans my mother bought the cheap-o brand and I had to settle for that.

When I wanted my family to stay together, my dad split, and I had to settle for that.

I wanted an education beyond the eighth grade but I had to settle for that.

When I wanted a Cadillac, I had to buy a Ford and settle for that.

There have been hundreds of things I wanted and had to settle for less, far too many to mention.

But when I wanted a wife - - guess what? I got the one I wanted, and I have kept her, and plan to keep her, because sixty years is not enough for me.

It’s amazing how getting something you want and need can make up for all the disappointments in life.

I wanted some good kids and I got them.

I wanted a nice house and I got it.

I wanted to receive Christ and be born anew and I did with no regrets.

I can say with the Psalmist,
Psalms 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed is the man that trusts in him.

Yes, I taste and taste over and over again and it gets better with each bite and I will settle with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.