New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

THE CLOCK IS TICKING

International Standard Version (©2008)
No temptation has overtaken you that is unusual for human beings. But God is faithful, and he will not allow you to be tempted beyond your strength. Instead, along with the temptation he will also provide a way out; so that you may be able to endure it (resist it)

A few years after I was married I had started a business that was doing pretty good and in the back of my mind there were some things I thought I needed.

One of the things on that list was a grandfather’s clock. This may be because my grandfather had a regulator clock that tick and tocked as well as gonged. I researched the different brands and models and finally decided on two of three models that I could be satisfied with.

A young man worked for me and as it happened, his father had a store that sold the brands I wanted, and so off I went to look at several models. I read the brochures and just about wore the finishes off of them from just looking. I went back a couple more times and finally, I decided this is the one. It was taller than me, wide and deep, the weights were heavy and the chains were strong. Yes, this was it, and the price was around $1600.00, but I could have it for about $1200.00.

I had the money, but I just couldn’t bring myself to part with all that money. I had wanted that clock very badly but when it was within my grasp, its importance waned and my desire for it disappeared.  I have never wanted a grandfather’s clock since that time.

I was tempted but found a way out.

Then there was another, “Got to have it, thing which was also a clock. This was a Coo Coo clock of all things. I sent off for a beautiful German clock that had some action figures on it and coo cooed every fifteen minutes day and night. Soon it went from cute to silly. After a couple of days of listening to that stupid bird, I packed it back up and sent it back to its maker. I haven't wanted another Coo Coo clock since that time.
I was tempted and bought it but repented and returned it.

Everyone has such a list, call it a wish list or whatever but many of the things on the “Got to have list,” serve no necessary purpose in your life.

People who are driven by wants instead of needs are easy targets for buying stuff they will never use or need. I have a lot of things that are still in the box, and I will probably die of old age before I try to use them.

I was tempted, and bought anyway, and now I am stuck with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzydyvHuZl0

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.