New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

CHECK UP TIME AGAIN


image courtesy photobucket.com

This time of year we reflect and some will decide to make New Years Resolutions!

I am not one to make and break, but it is a good time for a check up.

Phooey and phooey again. This is my usual first response when the HOLY SPIRIT quickens me to re-evaluate my walk.

I want to say; “C’mon now I’m doing okay!” Of course I quickly put that behind me and slowly begin to respond by first looking at the things in my life that are (in my view) without reproach. But even there I waver a little, when my style out distances my substance.

I then become a victim of “Cognitive Dissonance.”  When in realty I’m not a victim for this is of my own making.

Dissonance is often strong when we believe something about ourselves and then do something against that belief. If I believe I am good but do something bad, then the discomfort I feel as a result is “cognitive dissonance.”

Cognitive dissonance is a very powerful motivator which will often lead us to change one or other of the conflicting beliefs or action. The discomfort often feels like a tension between the two opposing thoughts but in the realm of the spirit it is nothing more than an inner conviction to “straighten up and fly right.”

Conviction sets in when the choice is to modify belief to accommodate the error of our ways.
The old adage “Do as I say not as I do,” just doesn’t get it done when relating to GOD for HE says; “Do as I say.” Those are the operative words.

Jesus said; I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bear much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Song of Solomon 2:15 take (control of) the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.

These two verses tell us three things, our potential in Christ, our responsibility before GOD and how I can blow it with the wrong response.

Well I have put off as long as I can that which I know I must do, so please excuse me while I respond to the Spirit’s urgings.

You might enjoy this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeP8R68p8uo&feature=related

Linked with Charlotte’s Spiritual Sundays.  Please visit there for some awesome words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.