New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Joe's Diner - Chapter 8


(Sorry but this chapter is out of sequence and is being posted late.)
 
My Dating did Not Work Out - MY Fault because - - -
 
Lacy was doing a great job with Jessie. I didn’t think I would ever find a replacement for the nanny that Jessie had before we moved.

She calls Lacy mommy all the time now.  At first it was a lark but now she tends to mean it when she says mommy. They have grown so very close. Lacy takes Jessie to school, picks her up, cooks her meals, and washes her clothes just like her mother would do.

Of course their favorite thing was shopping. It didn’t matter what kind of shopping just so it was doing it together.

After seeing how close they had grown and Lacy not taking much time for herself I began to feel guilty for she had no life outside of our life. She was a young woman that should be dating and here she was content like being married.

I was pretty much over the bitterness of my failed marriage and found myself looking at women with a manly interest again. I asked a woman out for dinner, where I had met at the office while she was doing business at another department.

We went out to a nice restaurant and had a pleasant time of conversation but I had the feeling she expected more after inviting me in when I took her home.

Embarrassed I made up an excuse for not going in and went home. I learned something that evening and that was women at this level are liberated and make no pretense at what they expect.

As I thought about it when I got home I was further embarrassed by failing to measure up to her expectations.

Jessie was in bed when I got home, but Lacy wanted to know why I was home so early.  She said, “Didn’t she invite you in?”

I didn’t know what to say to her.  I was uncomfortable but finally said, “Yes she invited me in but I declined the offer.”

“Why?” she asked, and couldn’t keep from grinning as she spoke.

I said, ‘Because it was just the first (and probably the last) date and I didn’t know her very well.”

That is WHY !
She wouldn’t let up and kept goading me about my refusal to go further with the lady in question.

I was getting a bit impatient with her and after her last tease I took her and kissed her long and hard and said; - - -

“That’s why.”

We just stared at each other until she turned and went to her room.

I sat down at the table and had to deal with a multitude of thoughts that was flooding my mine. Should I go in and apologize or wait and then do it later or just let it lie and hopefully it will be forgotten.??

I was exhausted and went to bed and strangely slept like a baby.

The next morning I got ready for work and Lacy had a breakfast prepared for me.

Jessie was up also and said, “When are you going to marry mommy?”

I said, ‘What?”

She said, “I saw you kissing mommy so do you love her?”

I have never lied to Jessie, but I didn’t know how to answer that question. I wasn’t sure if I said I wasn’t in love with Lacy, if that would be true or if I said I was and if that would be the whole truth.

Jessie broke in and said, “I asked Lacy and she said she didn’t know, maybe so.”

She got a little perturbed and said, “Doesn’t anybody know anything?”

Lacy came into the kitchen and Jessie said, “You two have got to figure this thing out.”

Lacy dished up our breakfast and we all sat down. Jessie said, ‘Well?”

I said, “Hush up Jessie.”

She said, “Well somebody say something!”

I finally said, “Lacy I don’t know what came over me last night and I hope I didn’t offend you.”

She started to smile and said, “Did you notice I didn’t resist but was kissing you back?”

I said, ‘Yes I noticed that and was confused by it.”

She said, ‘Since you find it difficult to say, then maybe I should speak up.  I have fallen in love with both you and Jessie and I don’t know how long I can continue like this.”

I was astounded by her frankness and had a flood of emotion come over me.  She had said what I felt - - but couldn’t speak of until now.

I said, “I love both of you also.”  I thought that is a poor way to purpose to a woman.
Lacy, Will you Marry me?


Then I composed myself and said, “Lacy, will you marry me and become mother to my Jessie?”

She smiled and said; “I thought you would never ask.  Absolutely yes I will.

To be Continued

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.