New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

MAKE IT DIFFERENT



image courtesy photobucket.com



When my wife, Hazel started to work some fifteen years ago, I began to do the cooking instead of waiting for her to get home and cook for me.  It is a habit I got into and I still cook most of the time.

I feel I have had some success since I haven’t poison us as of yet. When she was the cook I seldom complained about her menus, but on occasion I would make a suggestion concerning a dish or so.

This brings me to what I would call an occasional screwed up mess that I prepared, something hardly fit to eat. I notice she doesn’t come right out and say this is terrible; but rather she will say, “Well this is different.”

She might go on to say, “I don’t think I would want it all the time, but maybe once in awhile it would be all right.”

Well she knows I recognize when I mess up. and it isn’t necessary to point it out, so she tries to mitigate the situation by not criticizing it.

Besides that she also knows if she said much I would invite her to do the cooking from now on, something she doesn’t necessarily want to do.

She knows her Bible pretty well and believes, Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Pleasant words have a calming effect like pouring a little oil on troubled waters.

When encountering a troubled soul, one who is stress out pleasant words are the order of the day, remembering that timing is everything.

Proverbs 15:23 Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time!
Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in baskets of silver.

“A word spoken with propriety, opportunely and suitably to the occasion, is as much in its place and as conspicuously beautiful as the golden fruit which appears through the apertures of an exquisitely wrought silver basket.” (Treasury of scripture knowledge)

What you say to someone in the time of stress says more about you than him.

Matthew 12:35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.

One other to consider is that edifying words will build up both the speaker and the hearer so take heed how you speak.

No matter how lousy your cooking is, a fitly word (and some Tums or Rolaids) can convince you to try it again.   Check this out on youtube: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKBRjZdy8WY&feature=related

This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
Do visit her site and gather up some delicious recipes and perhaps a story or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.