New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

CITY-FIED

image courtesy photobucket.com

Growing up I wasn’t exactly country because we lived in town part of the time which meant I was a little bit citified.

I suppose you could say I fit in - - either in the city or in the country or maybe I wasn’t at home in either. In any case I didn’t know the difference because the dogs made me feel at home wherever I was and didn’t discriminate against me.

image courtesy photobucket.com
When in the country I felt more farm-ish and when in the city I was urban-ness.

Having been born a couple of months before the 29’ crash I grew up during the great depression. While most struggled to find anything good about it, it was a time when people found out about themselves. They discovered who they were.

It was a time when much of the facade they had carefully constructed and hid behind simply fell away. There was some ugliness that was exposed while others manifested love and caring for the less fortunate.

For those who were willing it was a time of introspection when they looked beyond those things that made them feel good about themselves and saw the whole me, warts and all.

The depression was a personal psychoanalyst without charge and the treatment lasted for several years.

When change was called for, some accepted that which was revealed while others sloughed it off for some price was usually required.

While it is nothing like the great one the mild depression of today has some of the revealing characteristics as people find themselves hard pressed. It is a good time to examine one self to see if some inner change needs to be made.

1Corinthians 11:28 strongly suggests an action to be taken prior to the partaking of the Lord’s Supper. This was because some were living in questionable conduct. They (and we) are told to do a spiritual checkup

“That is why you should examine yourself before eating the bread and drinking the cup” For there are dire circumstances ahead for those who don’t.”

Psalms 19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

I have never read more challenging words, and more has been said than in these few words for they go to the very heart of my being. Watch and listen to this beautiful song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_R7DnMc2I&feature=related


This post was linked to: On Your Heart Blog Hop Tuesday at: http://www.shandaoakleyinspires.com/2011/11/home-made-christmas-potpourri.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.