New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

THE GOOD LIFE

image courtesy Photo bucket

What is the “Good life?” This question needs further consideration.

Sometimes I will have a thought pop into my mind and if it doesn’t immediately go away I pursue further to see what I think about the subject.

Then I bombard myself with a slew of questions such as; “What is it? Do I have it; if not how do I get it? Do I want it, why?”

If I show further interest, one way to get understanding is to study about how it works and what are the ingredients. 

image courtesy Photo bucket



  Ah yes, science must have the answer, what would that be? First off nobody wants them to say; “We don’t know,” as they can’t afford to say that for their livelihood depends on answers and I don’t know simply doesn’t get it.
 
image courtesy Photobucket

So what do we do? People with money often go to the psychiatrist and do the analyses trick. Many go for years in order to endure their life style. In fact after several years of treatment they can tell people what their problem is and prescribe a cure.

Image courtesy PhotoBucket

What about pharmacology? Some say, “Lets do drugs, get a little high, just enough to get the thrill. Oh yes, this is where it’s at. What I need is some weed, maybe a little hashish. Well that is good but I discover that I need more!”

So off we go to the psychologist and immediately his diagnosis is “You have a disease” (90% of the science in psychology is now based on the “Disease model,” where we can forget about notions such as choice, responsibility, preference, will, character, and the like) but not to worry, it is treatable, not curable but treatable.

Onward and downward, we experience the cyclical merry go round “Treatment with side effects”. If you haven’t experienced “side effects” you haven’t lived (or perhaps you are lucky to be alive).

We mustn’t forget about theories, one very logical theory is if you remove the unhappiness then you will be happy!

Since I can’t afford the expense of psychiatry I turn on the TV. And there I find all of the things that make people happy and as luck will have it they are for sale. Oh happy day!!

This is more like it. I check my credit card and see how much my limit is and how much credit I have left on it or them as the case may be. Now I know how much happiness I can afford.

WWW here I come, my fingers on the keyboard are working their magic. After exhausting my energies, my mind and my bank account, I discover that I am still not happy and I have an empty feeling in my stomach.

Luke 12:15 Then He said to them, "Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions."

A mistake we can make is to think that happiness is the only ingredient in the “Good life.” Yes, it is an important part but there is more.

Image courtesy Photobucket

One writer put it this way “the good life must have a flow,” meaning that life consists of more that giggles and good feelings. There is also the experience of difficult times, the time of winning and the time of losing. The trusting in something bigger than ourselves and not just a philosophy, but is an eternal reality beyond our temporal state.

The good life consists of both the temporal and the eternal and it cannot lack either one and still be good.

The clarion call is loud and clear “John 3:36 He who has faith in the Son has eternal life; but he who has not faith in the Son will not see life;"

The good life is learning to temper hopes and dreams to the reality of the day. Paul faced his life and said; “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”

He did not let his circumstances diminish he zest for life and he fulfilled his reason for living.

One thing to keep in mind, the good life is always ahead, and it is yours for the taking. Hang all your sad songs on the willow and move on to the good life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftXe5sApOgk


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.