New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

COUNTING THE COST


When shopping, I oft times see something I want. I may not need it but “I want it.” I get in the “got to have it” mode and all reason seeks to leave me at that point. The last thing I wish to do is to “count the cost.”

Luke 14:27-30 "Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be My disciple. "For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost, to see if he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, all who observe it begin to ridicule him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.

I may be overcome by the urge to have the item and while the desire overcomes me and I pay the cost I wasn’t willing to count.

In 2 Samuel 11 the story of David and Bathsheba is told and the thing David didn’t do was count the cost, and what followed was adultery and murder. The interesting thing is this was from a man after GOD’S own heart.

Acts 13:22 God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.  (And I might add David did some things GOD didn’t want him to do).

When GOD forgives, it may be easy to forget the consequence of the forgiven act and if it wasn’t for the scripture we might sluff it off.  (Galatians 6:7 Don't be misled--you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant.)

Don’t you just hate it when every act has a consequence? Every action has a price that someone must pay? Does it seem unreasonable to count the cost?

Much of the pain within families is caused by a member not taking into consideration what effect their act will have on the rest of the family.   Romans 14:7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.

The result of saying things, doing things will live on in our memories for life. There are things when I inadvertently think about cause me to feel some of the unpleasantness all over again.

The advice of the old carpenter will serve us well; measure twice and cut once. The main reason for counting the cost is to be sure you are willing to pay the price.

Before you ask, how much that doggie in the window is, (the one with the wiggly tail) be sure you count the cost of dog food and the vet bills.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jitS-sqMXCA



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.