New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Dirty Bird Chapter Seven

This is the final chapter of this story, but a new story begins soon, so hurry back !

Will You Marry Me?
Whether I get the job or not I was having one of the best times of my life and Samson’s two daughters made it all the more fun.

I thought their names were plain for girls who were in the upper society, Gracie the younger by a year and Penny the older.  I never thought that there was anyone named Penelope.  Penelope Ann Samson shone in all her glory, so much so, that I found myself completely taken in by her.

Toward the end of the evening I said I would like to make an announcement. “Miss Samson has completely won my heart and I intend to woo her with the intent of matrimony. 
Since this is an evening of surprises she should be in tune with such a proposal.  I figure that in six weeks we should be man and wife.”

Mrs. Samson spoke up and said, “Which Samson girl are you talking about?”

 I realized I hadn’t specified which one I was going to pursue so I said, “It is customary for the eldest to be the first to be wed and I intend to follow that custom. This then is my first proposal; Miss Penelope will you marry me.”

Now it was time for the whole dinner party to be taken aback!

When Penny stood and said, ‘Yes, I will marry you in six weeks.”

Then it was my turn to sit down and wonder what I had done.

There wasn’t a sound in the room except someone took a sip of water.

After what seemed like a long time Mrs. Samson spoke and said, “Congratulations to the both of you, we have a lot of planning to do if we are going to get this done in six weeks.”

As I sat there I wondered if this was a fairy tale or a nightmare. I went over and took Penny’s hand and gave her our first kiss. For some time we had an eye lock looking directly into each other’s eyes.

The waiters came in and cleared the tables and everyone pushed their chairs back in a circle.

While Penny and I sat together holding hands she said, “There is something you all need to know and that is while we weren’t formally introduced I have known Robert for two years.

I first saw him during the debates he and Jim did. He wouldn’t recognize me from then, because I wore my hair in braids pulled up on my head with my horn rimmed glasses and a sweater or blouse and pants.

I followed his progress those two years and was quite impressed with the way he conducted himself.
 
I even danced with him a couple times afterwards he just said ‘thank you, it was a pleasure,’ and walked away.”

“I knew it,” Robert said, “I knew there was something about you that was familiar about you. We danced more than a couple of times; it was many times.  
I was so caught up with everything that was going on I didn’t try to date you.
I still remember slow dancing with you and how it felt being that close to you.”

Mrs. Samson spoke up and said, “Let’s leave something for our imagination shall we?”

Mr. Samson said to Penny, “Now I understand why you were pushing this young man forward as a candidate for the position we are considering him for.”

He went on and said, “Come Monday we will have your office ready for you, you have the job.”

I said thank you to all of the board members and Samson said, “Don’t get too carried away for I would rather work with you than to have to support you.”


The orchestra was playing and Penny and I danced until they hung it up for the night.

I told her I couldn’t believe everything that happened the past few days.

She said, “I know, and the one thing I knew for certain that I was going to be Mrs. Bird for I had it all planned out.”

I thought back to the only Mrs. Bird I ever knew was my birth mother who broke under the strain of her husband leaving her and ended up in a county facility.

The next day I called Jim and told him what happened and he said he was very happy for me.

He said he knew who Penny was and that he had several conversations with her about.

He said, “I figured she would get you for she was on your trail.”

I asked him why he didn’t tell me about her and he said, “I wanted to see how it would all play out without me being involved.”

He said he would be glad to be my best man and we made our plans for his part in our wedding.

I told Ma about my wedding and invited her and Pa to come but she declined saying they weren’t up to it but was happy I found a nice girl.  They would welcome a visit to meet Penny and some grandchildren as soon as they came on the scene.

While perusing this whole event I felt a little strange when thinking that Penny had been planning our future long before I really knew her.

I guess it takes a pretty smart woman to pull something like that off, but I must say I’m glad she did.

Finis

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.