New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

SURELY Goodness Shall Follow Me




image courtesy photobucket

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”

In Psalms 23 David has found something to be positive about.  In some of his writings he finds other things to complain about but not here.

The Psalms are a reflection of his life’s experiences. The heart of the true shepherd is revealed as opposed to the shepherd in name only; the hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep.  So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away.

In the back of David’s mind was his responsibility as a good shepherd when he was a lad who tended sheep. He stated that he as a shepherd, defended the sheep and killed both a lion and a bear that was attacking his flock. He led his sheep into good pasture and flowing streams so they were refreshed and were comforted by his presence.

David was thankful and reassured by the shepherd’s two tools, the rod and staff.  The rod has been characterized as a weapon of defense and the staff as a control devise, used when the sheep were out of bounds.

At the anointing of Aaron the first priest, the oil was poured upon his head and flowed down over his whole being, signifying he was completely and entirely anointed.

David’s anointing was total, his cup was full and running over.

His attitude toward his sheep was one of goodness and mercy and he shepherded them to the sheepfold safely. With this background he penned the twenty third Psalm.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

By faith the Christian’s expectation should be; surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

It is so important for you to include yourself in this Psalm, you are one of these who are kept safe in the sheepfold, by the Good Shepherd himself.


image courtesy photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.