New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

HALF A LOAF Chapter 9 HOPEING FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER


Breaking Up Hurts So Much
courtesy photobucket.com

After I finished the letter to Sally (that Laney actually dictated) I rushed to the post office and mailed it.

It would take at least three days for it to reach her and if she answered right back it would be a week before I received a letter from her.

I was tempted to phone her again, but the cost of the call squelched that idea.

A week went by and then another.  The letter must have gotten lost I thought, surely that must be it other wise I would have heard from her by now.

I saw Laney most every day and she said, “Calm down you will hear from her sooner or later.  She is probably swamped with her studies.”

I thought to myself, “My studies are a heavier load than Sally’s and I was working in addition to that.”

Laney said, “Come on over to my house and we will call her again.”

I protested because of the cost of the call.

She said, “Shush, my papa has plenty of money so it’s no big deal. Now what’s her number?”

She dialed it as I read the number to her.  She kept the phone and when someone answered Laney said, “Let me speak to Sally Adkins.”

The person on the other end of the line said, “I’ll see if she is available we’re having a party.

Then she asked, “Who shall I say is calling?”  

Laney said, “Tell her it’s Lonnie’s new girl friend and I need to talk to her.”

After a minute Sally came to the phone and said, “Who is this?”

Laney gave the phone to me and I said, “Hello sweetheart.”

She said, “Is that you Lon?”

I said, “Yes it is and it’s good to hear your voice.  Did you get my letter I sent three weeks ago?”

She hesitated and after a bit said, “Yes I received it.”

I asked, “How did it make you feel?”

She again hesitated but answered by saying, “Did someone say they were your new girl friend when you first called.”

I said, “That was Laney.  I’m using her phone because I didn’t have enough money to pay for the call.”

“Who is she, and why did she say that?  It sounds like you have been playing the field so to speak.”

About now I was wishing Laney hadn’t said what she said.  I answered, “She was just teasing and figured that would cause the girl to find you and get you to the phone.  I called before but they couldn’t get you to the phone so she tired a different method.”

Laney took the phone and said, “This guy is worried about being away from you and not hearing from you except in a round about way.”

Sally said, “What do you mean a round about way?”

Laney explained, “There are people here who have friends going to Princeton and they have told Lon you have become a party animal.  He doesn’t believe it but just needs some assurance from you that’s all.”

Sally said, “It sounds to me like you are trying to make a move on Lon for yourself.”

Laney stepped around the corner where Lon couldn’t hear very well and said, “I can get the full info on you and your antics in a short period, but I figured it isn’t any of my business.  You owe it to him to tell him at least part of what is going on and if your feelings for him have changed.  There is nothing wrong with a girl having a little fun but be fair with him and if things have changed then let him off the hook.”

Sally said, “It sounds like you want him for yourself.”

Laney said, He has shown no interest in me except for a friend, but from what I know of him he’s head and shoulders above what you are messing around with now.  I’m going to give the phone back to him and it’s up to you to show a little class and tell him the truth.”

I hadn’t been privy to the conversation the two girls had so I didn’t know what to expect when I spoke to Sally again.  I knew Laney didn’t mince words when she was serious so I was waiting to see how Sally would respond after talking to her.

Sally said, “I might as well come out and say it, my feelings for you are still strong, but I have found other interest that I need to explore.”

I asked, “Does that include new boy friends?”

She said, “Yes I’m afraid it does, and I hope we can remain friends.”

My first thought was, “Why.”  Then I realized that was because of being disappointed.

I said, “We surely should be friends forever for you mean much to me.”

She replied, “Great, feel free to write me at any time you feel like it, goodbye.”

I couldn’t help but shed a tear or two and asked if I could use the bathroom.

Laney said, “Sure go ahead.”

I managed to wash my face and pull myself together.  

Laney said, “I will give you a ride to work for your shift is about to start.”  She continued, “We all have to face disappointments in life and if you will allow it to, it will strengthen you to face other things down the road.”

As I got out of the car at work I said, “Thanks you have been a good friend.”

She said, “I hope we can remain friends because I don’t have many acquaintances I can trust.”

I answered, ‘You can count on it.”

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.