New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

DAMN FOOL DAYS

I was thinking about all my damn fool days, but since I don’t say damn I thought about my darn fool days.

I ran across a guy named Elbert Hubbard, and one of his first quotes I saw was, "Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.”

I thought now that is where I have been missing it; I have been a full time “darn fool.” I have decided to become a five minute man. The only thing is I can’t quit “cold turkey” for I’m afraid the trauma of doing that might do me ill repairable damage and that wouldn’t do.

Elbert said some other things that I’m still thinking about like; “To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” Well two out of three isn’t bad for me and I intend on working the third one.

Going on; "Never get married in college; it's hard to get a start if a prospective employer finds you've already made one mistake.”

And; "Our desires always disappoint us; for though we meet with something that gives us satisfaction, yet it never thoroughly answers our expectation."

I think there is some truth in this one because I had high expectations for calf’s liver until I tasted it. When it was frying with some onions my nose said this is going to be wonderful, but my tongue said spit that out.

On patriotism; "The only foes that threaten America are the enemies at home, and these are ignorance, superstition and incompetence.  Two of these are democrats and the other is republican.”

Editor: “A person employed by a newspaper, whose business it is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and to see that the chaff is printed.”

Folks who never do any more than they are paid for, never get paid more than they do.

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

Many a man's reputation would not know his character if they met on the street.

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge
A failure is a man who has blundered, but is not able to cash in the experience.

A pessimist? That's a person who has been intimately acquainted with an optimist. I met an optimist once but since I didn’t need glasses our relationship didn’t go any father.

Reckon I’ll close for now and work on my darn fool day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.