New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2015

THE DELI CHAPTER 5


If you need to refresh what has been happening at our story - -
Here are the previous chapters - -

Dining With Linda
 
CHAPTER 5
He arrived a few minutes early but she was already there talking to one of his competitors.

When she saw Len she broke off her conversation and came to greet him.

They were seated and she said, “I think you know the man I was talking to.”

He said, “Yes I do, he is an old friend from school.”

“Well he said some good things about you.”

“Well you don’t want to pay much attention to him for he always has an ulterior motive.”

“What in the world kind of motive could he have in bragging on you?”

“Well to be frank, no I’d better not be frank.”

“Well you started this now finish what you hinted at.  What was he getting at?”

“Okay he is like me, we’re both smitten by you so there, I’m hungry let’s eat.”

As they were reading over the menu she said, “What on earth do you mean “smitten by me?”

“Just that I’m… I find you… I want to marry you, let’s order for I missed lunch today.” 

She gave a bit of a smirk at that and then started to laugh. “I don’t know if this is the way you do business, or if it is just when you think you are dealing with helpless woman.”

“You’re far from helpless I know that much about you. This has nothing to do with business and I have never been more serious, I think I’ll have a steak, how about you.”

She said, “Len I can’t believe you are serious. Don’t you know anything about romance?”

“Yes a little and that will come as soon as you say yes.”

“You’re not serious, you can’t be.”

Len said, “Now don’t tell me that you haven’t checked me out and know most everything about me?”

“Well you got me there I have had you thoroughly checked out from grade school on for I’m not about to risk my company to someone I know nothing about.”

“Then you know I haven’t been this serious about any woman before.”

“Well I didn’t get that far into your past by talking to all your old girlfriends.”

“Just a few?”

“Yes,” she laughed, “Just a few.”

“Then you must know I’m in earnest when I say I want you for my wife. Now don’t tell me you didn’t consider me as a possible suitor after checking on me?”

“Len you are too open and honest for me. I’m not used to guys being this upfront with me. All I can say to your proposal is I will think about it while we are courting.”

He smiled and said, “That is as good as a yes and the proposal is good until you say you want to be my wife.”

After dinner during which neither said hardly anything she said, “I took a cab here, can I get a ride home?”

He said, “Certainly, but first I have to make a stop if that’s alright?”

She said, “Of course, I’m in no hurry to get home.”

Shortly he pulled over and parked and said, “C’mon go with me.”

She hesitated so he said, “It’s alright you will be safe and after all we almost married.”

They climbed the front stairs and rang the bell. An old man came to the door and after focusing his eyes he said, “Len what are you doing here?”

“I just came by to see you and mama.”

They went in and there was an older woman watching T.V.

Len said, “Papa and Mama this is Miss Charles or Linda as you will soon be calling her. She will soon be my wife if she agrees and your daughter-in-law.”

Len’s mother hugged Linda and said, “I didn’t think he would ever find the right one and now, here you are.”

For the next hour Linda found out the whole of Len’s history and Len finally said, “We had better go for it’s getting late.”

They said their goodbyes and while standing on the bottom step of the front porch Len said, “I can’t wait any longer to kiss you if it’s okay?”

She giggled and said, “I thought you’d never ask,” as they embraced.

When they arrived at Linda’s home he said I have something for you.
He pulled out a small box and showed her an engagement ring. He gave the box to her and said, “Either decide to put it on after thinking it over or throw it away for I don’t want to see it again unless it’s on your finger.”

She said, “Isn’t this a little presumptuous?”

“Perhaps… no I don’t think so you have turned your company over to a man you hardly know, and now I’m asking you to marry that same man.”

She couldn’t keep from laughing and said, “You don’t know much about me and you want me for your wife?”

“Well sure, unless there something wrong with you. Do you think I could do better?”

“Since you put it that way I don’t suppose you do better than me.”

“All I ask is please don’t take too long in deciding for my heart can’t take much waiting.”

She said, “I will give you my answer tomorrow.”

As he left he thought this is the craziest thing I have ever done and I bet she feels the same way… I sure hope it works out.

 TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.