New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, September 26, 2016

Randle Chimes chapter 7 Getting to Know You


We spent a lot of time just talking and getting to know one another
 
 
Chapter seven

Jenny and I were spending each afternoon together and learning more about each other every day.

You think you know someone but just dating doesn’t reveal the little differences that only become evident after marriage.

By the end of two weeks we had explored most of the avenues of personality traits. I found there was nothing in her that I couldn’t put up with and that was after scrutinizing her severely.

She said she wanted my Ma to go with her to pick out a wedding dress. They left early in the morning and took the train to the big city and didn’t get home till late.

They said they looked at every dress in town. They were gushing over the dress they found and she said she couldn’t wait till I saw her in it. George and I just looked at one another and he said; “That must be a woman thing.”

I said, “I guess George and I will have to go shopping for my wedding suit.”

The women just laughed and said, ‘You can wear just any old thing for no one is going to be looking at you any way.”

George said, “Supper is on the stove, Randle and I have already eaten.”

Jenny said, “I’m so excited I couldn’t eat a bite,” and ma echoed that.

George sounded a little disappointed for he had cooked most of the meal.

The women sensed that he was hurt and said; “We had better eat so as to keep our strength up,” and they filled their plates up.

Everyone who cooks gets a good feeling when people enjoy their food and complement them on their culinary skills and George was no exception.

The next day Jenny was to return home and get on with our wedding plans. So far we hadn’t set the date other than knowing it wouldn’t be long from now. I would be following her in two more weeks when I finished my schooling.

This last year has proven to be very profitable for me.  We have studied diseases and how they can affect people. I also spent time with a vet and watched him treat the animals in his practice.

He gave me a list of periodicals that would help me keep up with the latest treatments for animals.  Since I was going to be in the cattle business I felt this knowledge would be a plus for me.

Jenny and I said goodnight to my Ma and George.  Soon after they went to bed it was apparent that they were engaged in a marriage ritual most married enjoy.

I had gone to Jenny’s room for I wouldn’t see her for two weeks which seemed to be an eternity at this stage of our relationship. She removed her clothes and put on her night wear right in front of me. She crawled into bed and said, “Why don’t you join me.”  I stripped down to my underwear and did as she had asked.

Holding her with the action going from my ma’s room was not an easy task to refrain from going further. We dropped off to sleep and it was morning when I woke up. I jumped out of bed and dressed quickly.

A short time later I was having breakfast and George spoke up and asked; “Did you sleep well last night?”

Ma was giggling and had to put her hand over her mouth to keep from busting out laughing.

I turned completely red and realized Ma had seen me in bed with Jenny.

I felt my appetite leave and a dense feeling in my stomach. I knew it would be useless to try to deny that anything happened, that we only snuggled together so I didn’t bother.

When Jenny came to breakfast Ma said, “Did you have a nice night?” To which Jenny replied; “Not near as nice as from what I heard in the next room.”

Then it was Ma’s turn to turn red. She smiled and said; “Now you hush child.”

I took Jenny to the station and she said something that made me feel good. “It was nice having you in bed with me all night.”

That threw me off guard for a moment and all I could think to say was; “I enjoyed it too and soon it will be every night.”

She smiled and said; “Yes every night.”

As the train pulled out I felt a sadness I hadn’t felt before, part of me had left and I wouldn’t be relieved until we are together again.

Little did I know this would be the last time I would see her alive.

The next two weeks were intense and the finals were going to reflect what I had learned doing my school years. I was pleasantly surprised that I was near the top of my classes.

Immediately I thought I’m smarter than I thought or my classmates aren’t as smart as I thought they were.

I decided to accept the former was true because it made me happier. I was to leave tomorrow and it was going to be harder than I thought. Leaving my ma and the man who was truly my father wasn’t easy. We went out to dinner to celebrate my emancipation from the hickory stick as the song goes.

The train had an early departure time the next day so I went to the station by myself. I had said my goodbye’s the night before so I didn’t wake the house up. I had something weighing on my mind and would deal with it at the proper time.

The trip home to the ranch was pretty much uneventful  there was a couple sailors bothering some young ladies until the conductor told them he would stop the train and put them off out on the prairie. That took care of that matter. I noticed that the young women would slip a peek at the sailors ever so often which led me to believe they weren’t as offended as they made out.

In what they call the club car there were a trio of men playing cards and they got into a fracas which led to a few punches thrown.

Then there was a drunk who threw up not too far from where I was sitting. Even after it was cleaned up you could still smell it. The meals that were served in the dining car were a bit sparse for me. I felt like ordering another meal after I finished the first one.  It wasn’t the best place for a cowboy to eat.

There was another little spat going on, apparently one woman insulted the other by saying something uncomplimentary about her hat. After a few more words and both being in a huff they turned away and didn’t speak to each other again.
 
After an all day and night the train was pulling into the station and I was glad to be almost home.
To Be Continued
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I can't be a reader, but I'm impressed, b/c you are a wonderful writer. I haven't been able to since I was about 69. SO, since I'm 71, I can't drive, I can't read very well, and I can't act, and I can't write. As I said, I'm impressed! The Lord is using you in a special way. He uses me in another way. But worshiping and glorifying to the Lord is all that counts for us. Bless you and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robert for sharing your continued story with us here at Tell me a Story. Your writing is so true to life in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.