New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

OLIVE OYL AND I

When I was a child I would fantasize (To imagine or to picture something or an event in your mind) about things. It was stuff that came out of the blue and usually left as soon as it appeared.

One fantasy that I still have is my fantasy girl friend; “Olive Oyl.” She is a movie star that is portrayed as being Popeye’s girlfriend. She has several suitors, the main ones being Popeye and a brute named Bluto.

She is absolutely beautiful and she’s mine (in my fantasy.)

In real life I have a real wife and we are mucho simpatico, but one thing about Olive (because of my fantasizing) she is everything I want her to be and does everything I want her to do. It’s almost like being in heaven.  But then I have to return to earth and reality, back to the only nearly perfect wife.

I have to be alert and not allow my fantasy to become my reality especially in things spiritual.

Because of the nature of spiritual things, the supernatural, it is easy to let the imaginary (The way I'd like it to be) things become my reality.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; (or imagination) but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Barnes notes: And of a sound mind - The Greek word denotes one of sober mind; a man of prudence and discretion. The state referred to here is that in which the mind is well balanced, and under right influences; in which it sees things in their just proportions and relations; it is not feverish and excited, but everything is in its proper place. It was this state of mind which Timothy was exhorted to cultivate; this was which Paul regarded as so necessary to the performance of the duties of his office. It is as needful now for the minister of religion as it was then.

When it comes to the spirituals (things that which pertain to the spirit) it is easy to enter an imaginary world, and when dwelled upon, it becomes our reality at least in part.

When this happens it can give the enemy (Satan) an opportunity to cause us to go off the deep end and do damage to the kingdom of GOD. People who have a deep desire for the miraculous are prime candidates for this to happen to. If this desire is not fully met the fantasy fills in the blank spots.

You can tell when someone is suffering from this malady by the way they speak. They quickly say things that are far from their (or your) experience and reveal that they are doing a lot of fantasizing to validate the things they say.

Fantasizing can effect every phase of the Christian life including one’s prayer life where believing is replaced by hopeless fantasy.

To View Olive’s movie you need DSL. If you have DSL see site below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BkUXUKU8OQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.