New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

IRREPRESSIBLE

During the 30s and 40s one of my best friends was the radio. Whether running home after school and listening to Jack Armstrong or waiting for my dad to get through listening the evening news so I could hear the nights programming.

I had trouble remembering school work, how to work math problems and dates in history but I knew every program on the radio, and on what night it was on plus the time schedule.

One of my favorites was the Great Gildersleeve and his nephew Leroy.  Leroy was irrepressible; perhaps imparadised (characterized by strong enthusiasm) or poetico-philosophic (having intense emotion) would be a better way to describe him. Whatever he was, he was something different from one moment to the next and was off to another adventure. He was my hero and I wanted to be like him. The problem was I couldn’t keep up to his pace, and didn’t have an uncle Gildersleeve that was so forgiving.

Life demands us to be stable, not unchangeable for we all need to continue to grow, but fixed to the extent we are dependable. Having older family members that are stable and dependable are essential to the growth and development of children, and when they are not - - there is a void that is hard to live with.

When Israel crossed the Jordan River they took 12 stones from it and stacked them up to remain and be a monument to GOD’S deliverance. They were to remain there, and when children would ask, “What meaneth these stones?” the story would be told to them of how GOD delivered them from Egypt.

These stones were to be for the benefit of the next generation, a reminder of their heritage. They were to be proud of who they are and the stones were a reminder and proof that they were the chosen race by GOD.

There is the counterpart of this found in 1Peter 2:6 “Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Zion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.” This reference in of course is speaking of Christ.

The same passage refers to Christians as being living stones and as such must be built on Christ. The analogy of the stones or rocks and people is a pretty good one for the reality of the one, has the expectation of the other to reflect the characteristics of the other.

I am thankful for all the rocks in my life starting with grandparents and continuing with uncles and aunts and the more immediate father, mother, brothers and cousins. Some were more like rolling stones but most were fixed and solid. All these helped me through my irrepressible (Leroy) years.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7gt_cSxjw&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.