New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

OH LAWD chapter 40


The Letter
courtesy photobucket.com

In choosing a wife I wanted someone who was into the business, by that I mean someone who was as interested in excellent food as I was.

The need was for someone who had been raised up in the restaurant business, like I was, and wanted to be successful in it.

There was someone I knew who would fit the bill, so to speak, and I wanted to see if she had any interest in forming a partnership with me for life.

How to proceed in this matter was a total loss for me, because there were many things to consider.

The woman I was interested in was only eighteen, but that was old enough for me.  
 
Our age difference was only eight years, but as we got older that wouldn't matter that much.

I decided to do what seemed to me a dumb thing to do, but I couldn't think of a better plan.

The girl I was interested in was Mille the daughter of Marcel the Chef where I took my training in New York.  

Since we were friends I didn't want to go behind his back so I wrote him, and told him I was interested in his daughter Mille for a wife, and wanted to know his feelings about me as a prospective son-in-law.

I told him I wanted to know his stance about this before I went any farther and spoke to her.  I said due to the distance it would be difficult to really get to know each other. 

If he would agree I would like to offer her a job here in New Orleans, and see if we were a good match.

I went into detail about her being safe, and financially secure, and most of all with someone who would care for her.  

Lastly I said you have known me for several years and you know my character, and now you know my prospects for the future.

If you agree with these thoughts, perhaps you could approach her with this matter and see if she has any interest in coming to New Orleans.

To begin with, she would be working as the manager over the serving team.

I closed with the statement that I felt strange doing this in this manner, but I wanted everything to be out in the open, and for him to know everything that was going on in my heart and mind.

If she is interested have her write to me, and I will tell her what I have in mind.

All the way to the post office to mail the letter, I must say I felt like a fool.

I turned around a couple of times and started to forget the whole thing.



courtesy photobucket.com
As I dropped the letter into the mail slot I comforted myself by thinking,

“What is the worst thing that could happen?  If she said no, I would not be any worse off than before, and it would be off my mind.”

Then I could start looking in earnest at the New Orleans women.

Ten days later I received a letter from Marcel and I must admit I was nervous when opening it.  

The letter began, “Having received your letter, it gave me many thoughts both good and bad.  In the end I suppose my daughter will want to get married to someone, and you would be as good a choice as any, but she is bound to want to do the choosing.

Then there is her mother, and she isn't going to want to part with her daughter and have her go that far away.

After I talk with my wife and calm her down, maybe then I can give Mille your letter, and see how she feels about first a job, and then possibly a marriage.

After exchanging letters several times, and Mille’s mother throwing a couple of fits, it was decided the three of them would come to New Orleans for a visit, and see for themselves where I was proposing Mille to stay and work.

I moved my basic things into a small apartment over at the new building we had renovated, and would give them my flat to stay in while they visited.

I told them that the flat would be Mille's to live in, and I would move the rest of my things out if she agreed to stay.

Marcel’s critique of my restaurant was favorable.  He said it certainly is not New York, but it has a charm of its own, and the food compared well with his restaurant.

What he was most impressed with was the service, and how they took care of the customers.

He said that when he got home there was going to be some drastic changes made in the way they serve their customers.

Over the next few days I showed them some of the old world charm of the city which they enjoyed.

Finally the time had come for them to decide whether Millie was to stay or go.

Oh Lawd! 

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.