New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

OH LAWD chapter 28


New York Fancy Woman
courtesy photobucket.com
 
I did enjoy telling the girl’s stories about women in New York that weren't true, but it wasn't entirely my doings, because they wouldn't have been satisfied with the truth.

The truth was I was so busy I didn't have time for socializing. My hours were long in the kitchen, and logging all the recipes in my journal at night for future reference took a lot of my time.  

Another thing was, I was getting paid with knowledge instead of money. They paid me just enough to squeak by and certainly not enough to go out and party.

There was one other thing I realized early on; Marly and Linda were dying to tell me of their exploits while I had been gone.

I deliberately put them off until they couldn't stand it any longer, so then I asked if they had been going out on dates.

It was as if a great weight was lifted from them as they began to tell of the guys they had met and went out with.
 
I acted as if I was really impressed but inwardly I was thinking, “So what?” Two healthy second year college girls should be dating and preparing for the future both in employment and - or marriage.

I asked, “How many of them were sailors?” And they both turned red and hemmed and hawed. Finally Marly said, “Some of them were.”

I said, “Tomorrow is Saturday so I suppose you have dates. I will call up one of our old schoolmates and see if any of them want to go to the movies with me.”

Linda spoke up and said. “I don't have anything to do so I'm available if you want company.”  Marly said, “I may have a date, but if not I will tag along with you.”

As the evening wore on they told me of their future plans, and where they planned to go to college and get their degree.

The next day I met Paddy down at the gym and he pushed me into a good workout. Afterward he said, “Would you like to go a couple of rounds?” and I said, “No way, not with you.”

I knew he wouldn't hurt me but I didn't want my nose to get in the way of his fist by accident. It had happened before and even when he pulled his punches it hurt like blazes.  

By the time we left the gym I was already getting sore, and I thought, “This is what happens when you don't have a regimen to follow.”

I went back to the restaurant and helped Noonan prepare for the lunch trade. I told him that I would make the Gumbo while he did something else. He teased me saying, “I hope they haven't ruined your cooking with all those fancy ideas.”

I said, “Nothing could hurt the stuff they serve here even if they tried.”

He said, “It had better not.” and I answered, “One pot of gourmet Gumbo coming up.”

By the time Marly got to work I had the Gumbo on and had set her tables, filled the salt and pepper and was ready for customers.

After the lunch crowd left Ma came down, and Marly and I went down to the Navel installation.  I could see it was a lot different than when I had left.

There must have been three times as many sailors as before. I supposed it had something to do with the war raging in Europe. There were guards that blocked your way where before anyone could walk right in.

We walked back to the restaurant and got ready for those hungry fisher men.

Noonan said, “That Gumbo was eatable so I suppose you might as well make another pot.” As I put it on I thought, “There is sure a lot of difference in the food here and what I had been used to.

Here they wanted big portions that tasted good and was just simple cooking.

In New York they wanted food to have a delicate taste that would stimulate the whole being.

Their palate was expecting a light hint of different seasonings with the portions being small.

They weren't like the hungry fishermen who had worked really hard and felt like they were starving.”

Before I went to New York Noonan gave me some helpful advice and that was, “Learn to complement the main chef. Pick your spot and say something that was apropos to the situation. Don't over do it or he will think you are just sucking up.

When you say something, speak as an equal on his level. If some ‘know nothing’ complemented him it would mean nothing but as an equal he would be impressed.”

I kept that advice in mind, and only when the chef did something extraordinary would I brag on him.

Oh Lawd!

To be Continued

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.