New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

THE STUDENT


This post is shared at Hazel's: Tell Me a Story !!  My fictional stories continue, please return to not miss any of the chapters.
Bible Teacher
courtesy free clip art
Having served at the pleasure of a local pastor yesterday, which was Sunday, it was back into class this Monday morning.

Still engrossed in the duties the pastor had given me to do yesterday; I knew that now I had to turn my attention to the task at hand.  Which task was of course to listen to the teacher of the Bible School.

He was old and revered as the patriarch of the school and I trembled whenever I came near him. He never spoke to me directly, he would perhaps grunt in my direction if our paths inadvertently crossed.

Trying to put yesterday's failings behind me (for I had made a mistake during service) I now tried to focus on today's lessons but it was going to be a struggle.

That minor error I made yesterday loomed larger than it should and the thought of it still turns my face red. While getting to my seat one of the classmates said, “Now Sammie don't worry about that mistake you made during the service yesterday for we all make mistakes.”

If that was supposed to make me feel better it fell miles short of its intended target. Why couldn't he kept his mouth shut and let me suffer in silence but no, he had to address it before several classmates that now wanted to know wherein had I failed.

Everything I said just made the whole thing worse (as if it could be any worse). Why is it when people try to help a situation they only make it worse?

About that time the door opened and the "teacher" made his way into the classroom without looking at anyone or saying anything. He took his place behind the lectern as the class monitor spoke up and said, “Everyone take his place and prepare internally for today's lesson,” and then he sat down.

Prepare internally? Did he know that there was turmoil raging within me?

That I could scarcely restrain it from being manifested outwardly before the whole class?

As the teacher prepared to utter his first words of the day it seemed as if he swelled up and became much larger as I shrunk into becoming a small child, feeling unworthy of even being there.

I knew each word he spoke would echo down into the recesses of my mind and I feared the import would be lost in the process.

This day was somehow different for the teacher looked out over the large class, saying nothing for what seemed like an eternity.
 
He came down from the platform and then he moved among the members of the class. Then he walked by me and I almost began to shake as until he moved on past me to the next person and then he stopped and turned to look directly at me.

I gasped for he had never looked directly at me where we made eye contact. Now it was like he was looking down into my innermost being seeing all my secrets. I stood ready to confess. Confess to anything. Even things I wasn't guilty of.

It was like God himself was leaning over the portals of heaven and examining me.

He then straightened himself up to his full stature and spoke words I shall never forget, “This morning Samuel will read from Daniel 7:1-18 and make his comments.”

It was like someone had struck me in the stomach and I couldn't get my breath.

He then spoke the first words he ever had spoken to me, “Do you have your Bible Samuel?  I quickly reached for my Bible dropping everything else on the floor. As I started to retrieve them the classmate next to me helped me pick up my papers and straighten them.

The teacher took his place on the platform and sat down leaving me standing holding my Bible. The teacher irritatingly said, “Come up to the lectern and please read.”

I didn't know which was worse, standing up where I was or going up on the platform and having to look out at the class while every eye was upon me.

As I took my place behind the lectern the teacher never looked directly at me which was a relief and I quickly turned away from his steely eyes.

As I took a deep breath and fumbled with my Bible a strange feeling came over me. Something that had never had happened to me before.

It was as if I had been transported to another room where all the faces of the people were anxiously waiting for my words. Then I found myself beginning to speak out boldly.

I started by saying this book is filled with words much like any other book. It will mean little more to you than any other volume unless you know the author personally.
 
The better you know him the more this book will mean to you. From the first word to the last it is a personnel message to your mind and heart. The words are words of life, life which by their nature are eternal in themselves.

Reading this book can be likened unto taking a journey, a journey whereby you can seesights you have never seen before.  
 
At each stopping off place you will enjoy all the scenery has to offer you, and will be refreshed as you stop there to rest. The refreshing comes from hearing and obedience to God's word.

‘Acts 3:19-21 Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord’.


Then further as Jude 1:20 states emphatically; "But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit."

This is something one must do without exception; because it is there you become acquainted with the author of the Book.

1 John 2:20 says, But you have an anointing from the Holy One. This anointing is that which comes upon man and the result of a marriage between the Word and the Spirit in the heart of the individual.
  
As I read the chosen scriptures ask yourself if you are prepared for the reading. It is possible to look upon the instructive words of the scriptures as suggestions when God meant them to be words to live by.

"Proverbs 4:20-22 My son, attend to my words; Incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes, keep them in the midst of thy heart, for they are life unto those that find them and health to all their flesh."

Our selected scripture for today is Daniel 7:1-18 and since I feel it would be wise to let those who are well versed concerning prophecy teach on the subject that these scriptures are directed to, I will limit my comments to the verse found in Daniel 7:18

"But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever."

This kingdom is the kingdom of God Himself and we are admonished again in Matthew 6:33, "But seek ye first his kingdom and his righteousness,"

Be aware that now, the burden of being prepared to read the Bible is as important as reading it for it is life unto all your flesh.  

Jesus spoke of his words in John 6:63; The Spirit alone gives eternal life.
Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

James 1:21,"Putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls."

1 Corinthians 14:20, "Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature."

1 Peter 2:2 "Like newborn babies, desire the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation."

With those words the room returned to normal and with every eye upon me I sat down. 
 
After some time the teacher stood and instead of challenging me and my performance he stood and said "Class dismissed."

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.