New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

GRANDFATHERS CLOCK

Grandfather's Wall Clock
courtesy photobucket.com

A song I heard as a kid was My Grandfathers Clock. I always enjoyed hearing it again because it sounded different depending on who was singing and playing it.

My grandpa had a grandpa clock of sorts; since we were poor he could only afford a Seth Thomas Regulator wall clock. He kept it above the mantle and only he was allowed to wind it.
 
Even though it was only half as big as the floor models it did some of the same stuff like tic tocking and donging out the hours. He was quite proud of his clock and in the stillness of the country you could hear the ticking throughout the house.

The words to the grandfathers Clock song were in part were;

My grandfather said that of those he could hire,
Not a servant so faithful he found;
For it wasted no time, and had but one desire,
At the close of each week to be wound.

And it kept in its place,
Not a frown upon its face,
And its hand never hung by its side.
But it stopped short, Never to go again,
When the old man died.

Some year's later grandpa died but his clock kept on ticking and was sold along with the rest of his things by his widow for she had to move.


 
Shared with Laura at The Wellspring

And at Hazel’s Tell Me a True Story at:


One of my new stories begins soon - - Sign up now to follow me by e-mail.  You will NOT want to miss any of the chapters for the next fictional continued story !!  Use the sign up box at the top of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.