New FREE e-book: The Old Man and the Widow

New FREE e-book:  The Old Man and the Widow
To Order my E-books click on the Book or "My Book"Tab

Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

AIN’T IT GOOD? Repost from 2010


Watermelon - - Ain't it Goooood !!
 
Being from Tennessee, I had some good raising down there.  I reckon I ate my share of grits and fat back when they were available which was most often.

I decided I would share some of my heritage with my children so I loaded them up and headed south to Tennessee.

The kin folk were hospitable and took us in and fed us, it were hard on the chickens though.  We visited the family graveyard that was dated back to the Revolutionary War and you must admit it isn’t everyone who has there own cemetery to bury their kin in.

From there we went to Georgia to visit some of my father’s kin.  We saw Mama Moon who was deaf to anything less than shouting,   She died a little later at 103 years old.  Aunt Jesse saw to it that we were well fed.

Now some diets say drink some water before eating and you won’t eat so much, Aunt Jesse had a different take on that as she gave us all a big piece of watermelon before supper.  That seemed to satisfy some of our hunger.

While we were eating the melons she would always say, “Bob, ain’t it gooood?”   Aunt Jessie owned over a hundred houses and she showed us most of them complete with history.  She took us to visit the other aunts and uncles and we headed home.

Things were hard in the thirties in Tennessee, but we were able to do a little with little. The people had to take care of themselves for there wasn’t any free money in those days.  If you were hungry you worked and lived within your means which was very little.
 
Things change, today if the people need some money the government prints them some. 
 
The people today are educated and nobody has to work if they don’t want to.  I finally figured out what is meant by the saying this is the richest country in the world; it means we have the best printing presses in the world and as long as they don’t break down we will be the richest country in the world.

Uncle Dave Macon used to sing the Tennessee gravy train. Sounds a little like today.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vLvsgxKDbY  

This post is shared at: Tell Me a Story http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble making a comment - select anonymous but please add your first name to the comment.